Hydrostatic lags.

/ Hydrostatic lags. #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I changed the engine oil and antifreeze the other day in my JD3720.

For flushing I put cleaner in then mowed lawn for an hour at recommended PTO speed. Drained and refilled etc.

Fairly smooth lawn that was mowed all summer driving with high RPMs for an hour.

I took care of the radiator but then after that stuff was done I drove for a while and noticed the tractor would barely creep along unless the RPMs went up to 1700+ when normally just hitting the pedal will cause the tractor to move in a linear fashion; the harder i push the faster it would go even in idle mode. Then it snapped to and worked fine as long as I was pushing it.

I went out this morning to play with it again, check the fluid etc. and then finish the lawn. I did add about a pint to a quart. It started to be more snappy at low RPMs. After an hour of mowing the creeping began again at lower RPMs.

I had this tractor for 6 years and changed the trans oil a couple years ago, and if I recall it acted the same then also, but worked itself out of the doldrums after a period of time. I though it may have not had fluid in all the trans. parts where it needed to go but this time it happened out of the blue, just after maintenance on engine oil and antifreeze.

Have you guys ever ran into anything like that?

After type this stuff I was thinking maybe the load match or some other gizmo mode may cause that, but I don't have a clue.