Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
Tired of not having one. Which do is better in your opinion. I want the 120v option for portability if I ever need it but will use it on 240 mainly. I have shop air but would like the pre installed air dryer and compressor.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #2  
NO QUESTION
Buy Hypertherm made in US by owners of company who care about what dey make or buy china made thing and wonder why you not buy Hypertherm.

Onboard compressor gonna leave you disappointed.

Plazma like wife Not something man should buy widout test driving.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter.
Thought Hobart was made here.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #4  
I like my Hypertherm powermax air 30. I haven’t used the other.
110 volts gets things done but it’s a beast when running on 220!

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #5  
Hobart & Miller & Smith are all owned by ITW all Pacific product getting only enough US labor to paste US Made label on de box.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #6  
I would definitely splurge and go Hypertherm if you can swing it. I debated between the 30XP, 30Air, but when the 45XP came out and I tried it firsthand at Fabtech, I decided on the 45XP.

Reasons behind my decision...

1. I decided I would rarely if ever, use a PC outside my 240v shop environment... so 110v wasn't a requirement. That has proved out.

2. The 30Air I ruled out for same reason. Have a 60gal compressor in my shop.

3. Between the 30Air and 30XP, the XP has 50% more cutting power (because the Air needs power to drive the internal compressor)

4. I wanted future expandability to use in a CNC table. Felt the 30XP would be too slow. 45XP can accept a table torch.

5. I seriously doubted the 30Air ability to provide enough 'dry' air with the little onboard compressor and still cut fast enough.

6. Cost... 30Air about $300 more than XP for an onboard compressor and less power.

See also:

Hypertherm Powermax3 XP vs. Hypertherm Powermax3 AIR | ShopWeldingSupplies – ShopWeldingSupplies.com

From Hypertherm website:

30XP vs 30Air.jpg

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #7  
I agree, go with the Hypertherm if you can. I have a 1000 model I bought from my sister when my BIL passed away a few years ago. It's a beast and will cut 3/4" no problem. Consumables are readily available for them, and are reasonably priced too, at least they are for my HT1000. Good, dry shop air is a must too.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #8  
Hypertherm's consumables are excellent. Note that the 30Air though does not accept the 'fine cut' consumables that the XP model can use IIRC.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #9  
The Hobart has a built in compressor I believe. That would use up power, especially on 110 volts. I have a Miller 375 Xtreme. Dual voltage, only used on 220 though. I use a Motorguard filter, as you must have dry air.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #10  
I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air a couple years ago and love it. It is handy because all you need to do is plug it in and go to work.

We have a couple of these at work for smaller stuff. Simple to move them from one shop to another or take them up on a scissor lift. They are not the go to machines for slicing 1” steel, but they are really handy.