I can't believe they did it (part deux)

/ I can't believe they did it (part deux) #221  
My tax obligation has changed considerably within 2019. Dropped a parcel. Added a parcel. Changed the value on a parcel. I'm going to the Courthouse this week to visit with the County Assessor and County Tax Collector to ensure everything is accurate. I could probably get all the answers with a phone call. I have the ability to do it in person and will fell more comfortable doing it that way.

I consider my approach to be fiscally responsible. I consider TBS example to be fiscally irresponsible.

Yes, it was fiscally irresponsible for someone to not notice a sudden, unexplained decrease (or increase) in a property tax statement. Especially since that owner was in the rent property business. That is what made it difficult for us to believe his story. If we couldn’t believe it when he was going to pay us money to help him how could we have expected to be persuasive to the review board? We advised him to go in and work out a payment plan if he felt like that would benefit him. And try to get the last value reduced somewhat. He was fully capable of paying the entire amount he owed in full without any problems and that is what he did. With the free tips we gave him he was able to get his then current level of appraised value reduced. We felt at the time that was the “way to do business to do business again” with him. Later we did help him on some other matters which we all benefited from significantly.

It Always pays to do business so you can do business again.

TBS

/ I can't believe they did it (part deux) #222  
You are full of it but par for course. He did everything legal and followed the law at the time. What is unscrupulous about following the law? Laws are on the books, even in those days, and available to anyone who takes the time to research them.

Some guidance for you on the subject of doing things according to the law can be found in this guys post below:

My point was he didn't have to research. The updated list was laying on his desk.

For being so full of it, you sure follow my posts a lot. :)

/ I can't believe they did it (part deux) #223  
My point was he didn't have to research. The updated list was laying on his desk.

For being so full of it, you sure follow my posts a lot. :)

I never said his term as the State tax commissioner coincided with his time farming, he was a farmer and later in life the tax commissioner. So,,,, where did you get that there was a report on his desk? Besides that he was at the STATE level. Taxes are paid at the COUNTY level and I do not believe Al Gore had invented the Internet by the early 1900s to get instant information.

As far as your posts go, those that throw rocks should not live in glass houses. Pretty easy to catch contractions in TBN.

/ I can't believe they did it (part deux) #224  
I never said his term as the State tax commissioner coincided with his time farming, he was a farmer and later in life the tax commissioner. So,,,, where did you get that there was a report on his desk? Besides that he was at the STATE level. Taxes are paid at the COUNTY level and I do not believe Al Gore had invented the Internet by the early 1900s to get instant information.

As far as your posts go, those that throw rocks should not live in glass houses. Pretty easy to catch contractions in TBN.

I all honesty, when I read the post about your GG, I thought it meant he took advantage of his position as a tax commissioner to find foreclosures as well.

/ I can't believe they did it (part deux) #225  
I all honesty, when I read the post about your GG, I thought it meant he took advantage of his position as a tax commissioner to find foreclosures as well.

I never said that. He bought up properties while he was a farmer (and logger) by studying tax laws and pursuing foreclosures. Legend has it that while working in the logging camps he would be studying law at night while his counterparts eyed the bottom of a bottle. My understanding is that the whole county paid taxes late since there were no consequences. When some got into trouble and could not pay that year, they were already 3 years late on taxes and would go into foreclosure. He then snapped them up. Later in his final years after farming and logging took its toll he was talked into running (or appointed, not sure) for state tax commissioner because he knew tax laws inside and out. By that point in time he was done buying properties. No unscrupulous activities whatsoever.