PA hayseed

Platinum Member
Tractor
nx5010 hst cab
I can't believe I did this!

tractor wheelie.jpg

Happy fools day.

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #3  
Well, it is actaully pretty easy to do.....no, I don't mean getting us to fall for an April Fool's joke, I mean doing a wheelie. On my tractor, with a box blade on the back and the loader off, if you pop the clutch in third gear the front wheels come right off the ground.

(Do not try this at home. Professional Doofus. Closed course. No animals were harmed. This sentance made from 100% recycled electrons.)

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #4  
I'll never forget seeing my dad pop a wheelie on our 1940 John Deere L pulling a concrete watering trough when I was 12 or 13 years old. I suspect he came very close to cancelling his lease on life, but fortunately he stomped the clutch in time for the front wheels to drop back to the ground.

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #5  
Until I put the suitcase weights on the front bumper of my YM 1510D it took very little to lift the front off the ground. A load of dirt in the scoop and a slight rise would do it. My FIL had an old JD "G" that he used to pull a small rollover pan scraper. He routinely came out of the hole pulling the scraper with the front wheels catching air and steering with his brakes. :eek:

But on target--you caught me on the joke!!

Mike

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #6  
My brother popped the biggest wheelie I ever saw without going over backwards on our old AC WC when we were kids. We had a 110 gallon tank on the back, and when it was full, the front got REAL light. On the way to the back 40, he decided instead of going all the way around, he'd take a shortcut through the ditch. Big mistake! The tractor stood straight up and rested on the tank on the back. All he could do was hang on, but once it got on level ground, it came back down. He broke the hoses and PTO pump off of the tank and tractor, and wasted a whole tank of Treflan on the ground. I thought my Dad would kill him, but he was so thankful he was safe that he couldn't be too mad. No grass grew in that spot for about 3 years.

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #7  
On my Ford 8n Its more of a challenge to keep the wheels on the ground in 1st gear if i have a mower in the back. But the front is light.

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #8  
Sportsman762 said:
On my Ford 8n Its more of a challenge to keep the wheels on the ground in 1st gear if i have a mower in the back. But the front is light.
An implement on the back sure makes it more wheelie prone, but gives you a second chance when it hits the ground as youre raring up.
larry

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #9  
I can remember coming home from school, and seeing the front of our small Allis Chalmers rear up above the mature corn in the field. My older brother would be out there pulling rocks. He would let the tractor come up, and then dump the clutch to use the weight of the tractor to pull the rock. It was dangerous as ****, and it scared me just to watch. I stood a small John Deere up one time high enough that we had to cut the hitch pin off with a torch. It happens quick! Another man had mowed the field, and let the hay fall covering a hole that I never saw. Why he didn't take the time to mark it I'll never know, but I hit that hole at the crest of the hill dead center. The nice guy I worked for had just come to pick me up for lunch, and it sure scared the heck out of him!

/ I got my tractor to do a wheelie #10  
Older tractors, ones designed without FELs, generally don't have a very strong front end support system. I've seen many videos where if the front end pops up that the tractor lands down and breaks its front end system.

Not a good idea to do wheelies. Misuse your equipment, and you'll pay.

Fools will find all kinds of way to die or to kill things needlessly.

Ralph