I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me!

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
The GE clothes dryer that is about 5 or 6 years old had started to squeak when running. I did some internet sleuthing and found it is the bearing that is on the back of the drum. So, I order new drum bearing/slides/belt/tension pulley. I watch a youtube video of how to take it apart, no problem there. Dang, that drum is sort of heavy and hard on the lower back. I just happened to catch my oldest son that lives across the road as he came by to get some eggs from my chickens. It takes two to put the bearing on and lined up in the drum. Why oh why, do engineers have to spec out twenty different types of screw? I mean the door uses phillips screws and the drum uses torque screws (star shaped) and then the panels inside that that to be removed use those goofy square head screws. Why? This of course necessitates going back and forth to the shop to drag out said tools to use. My left foot still hurts from twisting when I fell yesterday. Fun fun. Now I have enough tools scattered on the floor to build a darn battleship. Why didn't the idiot that designed this thing provide an access door or panel on the rear to reach in to put the belt in place and then let the tension arm off to hold the belt tight? I mean this is just ridiculous to have to set the belt on the drum and reach in on the left side n a very tight place and sharp edges everywhere and the drum is weighing heavy on the left arm/wrist....and you can't see a thing back there because the drum is in the way so basically doing it blind. It would be too easy to do it from the rear....nooooo, lets make it more fun by gouging/scraping/cutting and cursing to get it done. And, if that is not enough...I still have to get that stupid flexible piping on the rear exhaust tube. Who ever designed that stuff is of the devil! That has to be the single and most difficult task on the face of the earth. By now my arms hurt and scraped up and worn slap out. The back is not going to be forgiving tomorrow. I hate walking around crooked and bent over. I think next time....I will just buy a new dryer and start the love/hate relationship all over again...might as well just take another wife or something....about the same level of aggravation. :D

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #2  
Don't let "THEM" Win - don't buy a new one fix - them. I have a 20 year Neptune stack and I just keep repairing it - to cheap to buy a new one.

:biggrin:

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me!
I spent about $20 to renew all the moving parts, mostly from ebay. It does make sense to fix one vs buying one.

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #4  
I spent about $20 to renew all the moving parts, mostly from ebay. It does make sense to fix one vs buying one.

I haven't owned a GE product in years, and never will own another. I Always had bad luck with GE

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #5  
I try to fix rather than replace unless there is some new feature I really want. I fixed my 1988 shop door opener today. $20 part vs $200 or so new. Clothes dryers and roll up door openers haven't changed enough to warrant new.

I have an LG front load washer now which replaced an old piece of carp Lady Kenmore. I sure don't miss fixing that thing, did it too many times. The LG hasn't needed anything in about 7 years now since buying it. Uses way less water, a feature which helps the load on the septic drain field.

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #7  
I have been known to cut access holes in those cabinets to relieve some of the stress and then screw a patch over it. Reminds me when I had a leak in my RV holding tanks mounted above a bottom pan. Cut out the sheet metal, hot air welded the tank, (overhead laying on my back on the ground in the winter), and then manufactured new bottom pan closure panels. Lack of spendable income creates creativity.

Ron

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #8  
497741d1486362019-i-hate-my-dryer-im-presentation1-1-jpg

Attachments

• presentation1-1.jpg
    presentation1-1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 579
   / I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #9  
I just happened to catch my oldest son that lives across the road as he came by to get some eggs from my chickens. It takes two to put the bearing on and lined up in the drum.

I'm sure they've changed, but I had to replace that bearing on a GE dryer in the early '80s when I had one arm in a sling. But with my one good arm and an early teens daughter, we got'er done.

/ I hate my dryer....I'm sure it hates me! #10  
I used to fix the washer and dryers back when Maytag built good units . had one for 20 years washer never gave a problem and dryer just lint build up that needed cleaning .so long that the paint and rust began to look the same. Wife said she wanted a new set tired of the noise and washer was allowing small bits of oil to stain the clothing.
bought a new set at Lowes gave more than first six cars had owned. included a warranty.

The Maytag low water had a glass top so she could see the wash . it went completely thru the wash cycle and never got the clothes wet. called to Lowes and they sent out a different type still the low level wash.
this one had some type of sensors that kept quitting and washer just poured water . another call to Lowes .still warranted to work . Only there was no repairmen around to come to the house to fix (remember the Maytag repairman advertisement never had work to do) so company handling the warranty called and told us did we want Lowes to send another or return the money. Wife chooses the G E brand and we have never needed any repair calls and the machine is reliable quiet and water bill less than with older machines .
she is happy and this is a bonus for me.
ken
T .