I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
I suspected a leak and confirmed that it does....somewhere. It is plumbed w/ ~200' PVC and put the whole works in ~ 7 years ago and mostly runs the edge of the driveway. There is no outward signs of leakage. Do hydrants themselves somehow leak or is it more likely a plumbing problem?

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #2  
I always thought, rigid PVC was not permitted under code for inground

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #3  
I've replaced ours at least 3 times already and candidly, I'm sick of it.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #4  
I had to replace mine. They don't put much galvanized coating on the pipe end where the seal is located in the ground. So it rusts and no longer seals. Tried a rebuild kit. Total waste of time. Replaced with another equally as sorry entirely new hydrant.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #5  
Yes, hydrants leak, often from the washer at the bottom. Have you checked?

All the best, Peter

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #6  
I suspected a leak and confirmed that it does....somewhere. It is plumbed w/ ~200' PVC and put the whole works in ~ 7 years ago and mostly runs the edge of the driveway. There is no outward signs of leakage. Do hydrants themselves somehow leak or is it more likely a plumbing problem?
Lots of youtubes showing how to test and replace hydrants parts.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #8  
My brother got a government subsidy to run rigid white PVC in ground to his pastures. This causes me to think it met code for that purpose.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #9  

Locally no agency inspects residential water lines. Even if they did a big percentage of the municipal water supply lines are pvc.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #10  
Poly well pipe seems to be more forgiving of earth shifting around. One tip when replacing the hydrant, put a 1/4 street el and short nipple in the drain outlet, keeps debris from scoring the valve and creating a leak down the road.