I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #11  
I've seen several hydrants that had to be repaired. It's the main washer that seals off the hydrant. Fortunately - this can normally be replaced w/out digging up the hydrant. This is an easy fix. Unless the valve seat has been scored.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #12  
I suspected a leak and confirmed that it does....somewhere. It is plumbed w/ ~200' PVC and put the whole works in ~ 7 years ago and mostly runs the edge of the driveway. There is no outward signs of leakage. Do hydrants themselves somehow leak or is it more likely a plumbing problem?
How did you confirm its leaking?

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #13  
Are you on a meter or a well? If you have a meter, be sure to check that it's a modern, newer designed meter that doesn't allow water to go both ways through the meter. I had a $600 water bill for an empty house that I was flipping. The water utility said that there is no way that the meter was wrong, but when I told them about water surging from their pumps that causes water pressure to rise and fall, allowing water to go through the meter, then back out again, which keeps turning the meter, but no water is used, they replaced the meter that week and eventually forgave the bill. They never admitted that I was right, and the guy in charge kept telling me that it was impossible, but they sure did change that meter real fast!!! I was given the information about surging water pressure causing meters to read false usage amounts from the guy in charge of my water utility, so my source was solid.

On long runs, glued together PVC can crack when the ground freezes. When it freezes and there is enough moisture in the ground, it's just like an ice cube in a tray. This is what causes most foundation failures too. The crack can be so small that you never see the water at the surface. It can also follow the length of the pipe until it finds a gopher hole, or something like that, and continue to run without ever being seen on the surface. Your only clue besides the big bill for water usage is an area that is green, where everything else is dead looking.

If your water pressure is too high, usually above 60 pounds, water will continue to flow through the valves in the toilets. You might never know this is happening since it's such a slow process, but it adds up to serious money by the end of the month. Especially if you have several toilets.

If you have to replace your water line to the house, spend the extra money to get gasketed water lines. The pipes slide into each other and allow for movement in the ground. If you ever see any water utility lines being installed, all of the pipes will have gaskets at one of their ends. This is what is used in every new water and sewer line installed around my area of the country, and I would guess, it's done the same everywhere else. Just deeper in colder climates.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #15  
Poly well pipe seems to be more forgiving of earth shifting around. One tip when replacing the hydrant, put a 1/4 street el and short nipple in the drain outlet, keeps debris from scoring the valve and creating a leak down the road.
When replacing also put a shut off valve in. No idea why nobody ever does that…. My ground gets so frozen that if I had a problem in the winter there isn’t a piece of equipment I own that can dig it up. So I have to just let it leak…

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #16  
Maybe illegal where you are. But it's legal where I am
All I know is no one around here used it, maybe with our clay it is to brittle

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #17  
When replacing also put a shut off valve in. No idea why nobody ever does that…. My ground gets so frozen that if I had a problem in the winter there isn’t a piece of equipment I own that can dig it up. So I have to just let it leak…
Gosh, I have shutoffs all over. I'd be in heaps of trouble without them.

I'm amused by how local piping habits are. Nobody around here uses continuous poly pipe. Almost 100% PVC, if it is plastic, and everything is glued until you get to larger than 6" diameter. I don't know why more folks don't use PEX-A here, but they don't. Copper is almost exclusively soldered; we are just starting to to see oring crimp piping going in.

My all time favorite remains the English who ran/run the pipes on the outside of the houses so that when they freeze the damage is minimal inside. :rolleyes: (OK, granted, many of the houses were built before indoor plumbing, but still.)

All the best,

Peter

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #18  
The only PVC in my water system is my 5” well casing.

The rest is all copper, from the well into and throughout the house

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #19  
I used to own a house built in the 1960s that had both copper supply and copper waste lines.

/ I have a water leak to or at my yard hydrant #20  
A neighbor of my in laws had copper waste lines, most of it had to be replaced at 30 years old due to sulfur water eating it up….