I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #51  
Of the 6 of them the Pro-turn ZX or the Radius S would be my choice - suspension seat and more standard equipment. You might also look at Simplicity Citation or Cobalt too - they are a Ferris with full suspension and similar $ as these.

/ I need a new lawn mower!
I took a good look at Scag today, and I quite liked them until I sat on them. They're the least fat man friendly, lol.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #56  
Hello folks,

After giving up on my 314 and sending it on down the line, I am without a mower; this hasn't been a problem, but it'll need to be rectified before we get into Spring. My lawn, if you could call it that, would currently be about an acre on a just under 2 acre property. It barely exists as a lawn, having seen much destruction over the last year, and it was a mess to begin with. However, over time it'll be smoothed out, dried out, and an attempt made to return it to normal.

Traditionally I have mowed with lawn or garden tractors; prior to moving here I had a D160 that I really enjoyed, however I found the lawn (before it's current state) beat the tractor rather hard, so I sold it before it caused any damage. That has me scratching the 100 and 200 series out of the running. That was replaced with a Cub Cadet XT3, which handled the property well, but those are no longer in production. The obvious alternative is the X500 series, but that would need to be used given their premium price. So, that leaves the X300 series; from that I've cut out the K46 machines. From there I've narrowed it down to the X380, or maybe even an X384.

The lawn tractor market is sad these days, the only real alternative to the Deere would be a Cub Cadet XT2 in the higher end. Those seem to be good machines, but the frame is similar to that of the 100/200 series Deere; they're pretty well put together, but I'm a big guy and the flex makes me a little uncomfortable.

Husqvarna isn't even in the running, their lawn and garden tractors are a bit of a farce. So I guess that just leaves the Deere X380/X384, or whatever I can find used.

Or...

I could get a zero-turn.

I've never operated one in my life, but they've taken over the market so there must be something to them. I have a few concerns; first and foremost, will my Big & Tall catalog self be able to operate one comfortably? Not far behind that, I wonder how they do on rough terrain? Mud?

I've looked around the local field, and I've found these machines. Does anyone have any thoughts on them? On zero-turns in general? How they compare to lawn and garden tractors? This will just be a lawn mower, other tasks are handled by the Kioti. That said, I've got a 10P cart I'll be able to use again.

Cub Cadet ZTS2 50

ExMark Quest X

Scag Liberty Z

Ariens IKON

Ariens APEX

Bad Boy ZT Elite

John Deere Z330R

Is there anything I'd be doing a disservice not to look at? I'm trying to stay right around 48" with the deck size. Is there anything to look for on a zero-turn that doesn't apply to a lawn tractor? Anything to avoid?

I'd like to figure this out quick enough, before the Spring rush I suppose.
You need to look at machines with 4 wheel suspension. Two I’m familiar with are the Ferris and Stihl machines.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #57  
I have two Simplicities. A ZT2500 with front only suspension which does very little. And a Simplicity Citation XL which has full suspension. The advantage of full suspension is that you can go full throttle across a bumpy field at 10mph+ and all it does is move a little bit under you as it soaks up the bumps. It really is an awesome experience. When you know you know. I do. It's really cool being able to full throttle it. And the cut quality never suffers. It's 60" deck cuts nicely.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #58  
This thread got me curious and briefly looking at a few different models with full suspensions which were rare or non existent when I bought my husky. Bad boy offers full suspension on a few models and look nice and well built online anyway, always see BB suspension less homeowner oriented models at TSC prices made me runaway from using my online electronic device on there website in a hurry. The prices are in line with most ZT manufacturers out there though. Anyways after owning a ZT, full suspension would rank very high on my list of must haves if I was in the market for another ZT. Good luck.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #59  
This thread got me curious and briefly looking at a few different models with full suspensions which were rare or non existent when I bought my husky. Bad boy offers full suspension on a few models and look nice and well built online anyway, always see BB suspension less homeowner oriented models at TSC prices made me runaway from using my online electronic device on there website in a hurry. The prices are in line with most ZT manufacturers out there though. Anyways after owning a ZT, full suspension would rank very high on my list of must haves if I was in the market for another ZT. Good luck.
I bought a Stihl last year with full suspension. I really like it, but it’s just a re-painted/rebadged Ferris mower. There are more Stihl dealers and service facilities than Ferris so that’s why I went that route.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #60  
^^^^
If I didn’t have my steep hills, I would have definitely gone with the Ferris/Stihl with suspension. Great mowers!

Mike