I need a power easement

/ I need a power easement #1  

JPRambo

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota Bx23S, b6100
I have a property in northern Georgia that I need to have the local utility company get power to .Right now I only visit it with a camper for a week at a time.
I met with the local guy and he says it is my job to get permission to run across my neighbors property. Has any one here had to do this ? I live 650 miles away from this property and I don't know where to start. How do I start? What is the procedure to do this? Is there a form the I can download for property owner to agree for me to do this?

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 381
Last edited by a moderator:
   / I need a power easement #2  
My power company provided the form,just had to get other party to have it signed and notarized.

/ I need a power easement #3  
I do suggest you visit the neighbor rather then just mail him or her the form.Depending on how the neighbor uses the property and the dimensions of the easement, you might want to offer some money.
I can tell you now...if someone mailed me such a form, it would go directly into the trash...

/ I need a power easement #4  
I assume you mistakenly put this in the tractor forum instead of some other forum. Anyway this sounds backwards, I think the electric company is responsible for getting power to your property and then they use the easement on your property to get it to your house. Talk to a lawyer from that area.

/ I need a power easement #5  
Around here, that easement will cost you a bunch of money. Or simply be unobtainable. Your neighbor has no legal obligation to give you a easement. And he might have a bunch of reasons not too.

/ I need a power easement #6  
Around here, that easement will cost you a bunch of money. Or simply be unobtainable. Your neighbor has no legal obligation to give you a easement. And he might have a bunch of reasons not too.

You seem to need permission from 2 landowners, I'd look over your deed very carefully, to see if access is included anywhere.

/ I need a power easement #7  
Well surely the guy below you (043-073) has power.....why wouldn't you simply come along the driveway off the line that feeds his house ?

Or consider solar......given the cost of an easement and running the line, you might be better off to say "no thanks"

At the time the power company ran mine up to my place (80's), all I had to do was agree to buy power for 3 years. TODAY, it would cost 30 grand for them to do it. Given the cost of solar has fallen considerably, TODAY, I'd say 'no thanks'.

/ I need a power easement #8  
I take it the land is "landlocked". What is the status of your access? (by foot, driveway with deed?)
In my rural location I have access (written into the deed) across adjoining property. It's about 400' until I hit my property line. The power Co. had the forms necessary, I just chose not to tell them about it. Right or wrong, it's a "deeded" access without mention of not allowing electric or other utilities, (in the deed) so why complicate things. Twenty thousand dollar plus electric service, that's 9 poles, and that's using a contractor that was half the price that the elec. co. wanted to charge!

/ I need a power easement #9  
Well surely the guy below you (043-073) has power.....why wouldn't you simply come along the driveway off the line that feeds his house ?
Beat me to it. Peering around on Google Maps, it looks like everyone has underground power, so it should be doable...

Aaron Z

/ I need a power easement #10  
Looks like you have a driveway with easement through other properties. I'd just trench in the power along that existing easement. You will have to give the power company permission to use that.

Around here, land that was developed with access easements usually also has a utility easement drawn into the plat. It should run parallel to the driveway. If it's a shared driveway or private road, the everyone's easement will run down along the roadway and then "peel off" onto each lot. If you're at the end of the line, you have the longest easement.

Also check to see where the nearest transformer is servicing your neighbor's house on the same driveway easement. That shows how far the power company has run high voltage lines. Should be able to tie into them, run down your driveway easement, and then put up another transformer for you.