I need a propane torch that works

/ I need a propane torch that works #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Just a simple, basic torch which screws onto a disposable cylinder and burns when you light it. Heat, solder, or start a bonfire, then turn off the valve until next time. That seems like an easy request but I haven't found one yet. I've bought two Bernzomatics and another brand (I don't recall the name as it went out in the trash.) Screw the tank on, light it and it may sputter for a few seconds but then it goes out.

Has anybody bought a torch in the last 5 years that worked?

/ I need a propane torch that works #3  
Self igniting is the only way to go.
I have to agree. mine is 15 years old and I used it prolly 5k times already

/ I need a propane torch that works #4  
Self igniting is the only way to go.
have the same torch...i burn the yellow can gas... MAP PRO gas. works great. hotter flame than propane. mine is at least 15 years old in service rig. have same one next to wood stove probably 10 years old.... for starting stove.

/ I need a propane torch that works #5  
have the same torch...i burn the yellow can gas... MAP PRO gas. works great. hotter flame than propane. mine is at least 15 years old in service rig. have same one next to wood stove probably 10 years old.... for starting stove.
Second this. I bought a like 50 dollar MAP Gas torch from the plumbing section at lowes. It will burn MAP, Propane, and Butane I think. I use MAP all the time tho I've had it for 8 years maybe and it works every time. Click spark type. I've lit hundreds of fire works with it, started fires, burnt vibes. Soldered copper pipe, rusty bolts, etc... all the things a grown up man child uses a torch for. It always works. I've got a lawn propane torch and a cutting torch as well. You can never have enough torches.

/ I need a propane torch that works
Thanks. I will try one. It's pretty frustrating to buy such a simple item, only to have it turn out to be junk.

/ I need a propane torch that works #7  
I also have one so old I don't remember buying it. Maybe you should stay away from Harbor Freight for things that need to work and last.

/ I need a propane torch that works
Maybe you should stay away from Harbor Freight for things that need to work and las
No danger of that happening. I’ve set foot in HF exactly twice in my life... once to see what they were like, the other to buy an engine for my Troy-bilt. The torch I’m looking to replace is a brand new Bernzomatic... CBEC3066-D0BB-43FC-92F4-FCA0AFA189BA.jpeg

I used it just once, not long enough to start a fire in my wood stove before it stopped working. I’m not sure where the other came from, all that I know is it doesn’t work. Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I’ll probably pick one up as you suggesyed, the next time I'm in town.

/ I need a propane torch that works #9  
I've an old nozzle that has worked whenever I needed it to. Bought a new one when I had moved and didn't have all my stuff up here. Thought I was getting a good one. Bernzomatic with a hose. Thought it would make Life easier. It just doesn't work consistently at all. Harbor freight item would work better

/ I need a propane torch that works #10  
The auto ignition ones work well overall but a couple things. 1 - It won't want to light until the gas is all the way open or nearly so. You try to light it at partial flow and it probably won't work or it will just blip a little. and 2 - I have seen where the spark tip is not sitting in a good spot to make the spark and light the mixture, so it can help to tweak it a little until you find a spot that lights well. Don't go crazy, but if it is not lighting reliably try tweaking it.