I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this...

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #51  
If I'm not mistaken, Hudson, Ohio is the home of Kent State. You all remember Kent State right???
Kent state is in Kent oh

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #53  
We use to ice fish in Alaska. Ice was usually two, three - even four feet thick. About half the time - bore the hole and you had a mini gusher. I never thought about much else other than trying to stay dry and warm.

Then there was subsistance ice fishing with gill nets and a jigger board. A whole different ball of wax.
Thickest ice I've ever seen is 22" on a lake near here. That would take me about 45-50 seconds to drill through with my hand auger when it's sharp. I have a strange habit of counting things. So I count how many turns of the auger it takes to get through the ice as I crank it around. 11" a couple weeks ago took me 22-23 turns. About 2 turns per inch of ice and about 2 turns per second.

I also painted twelve - 1" stripes on my auger shaft above the flighting, so after the auger goes through, I can pull the flighting up against the bottom of the hole. I count down how many stripes I can still see and subtract that from 12. Easy to tell how thick the ice really is VS the fisherman's guesstimate (lie 🤣 ).

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #54  
Fishing with gill nets and a jig was subsistence fishing. We ( ADF&G ) issued subsistence permits for this type fishing. Most common - it was a family affair. The entire family would join in and secure their winter supply. Permits would be for 200, 300, 400 or more fish. About 90 to 95% of the catch would be lake whitefish. Occasionally - a lake trout.

Then occasionally a wayward beaver. One beaver would REALLY wreak havoc with a 100 foot gill net.

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this...
Then occasionally a wayward beaver. One beaver would REALLY wreak havoc with a 100 foot gill net.
They can taste pretty good though, if properly prepared. ;)

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #56  
It starts with a candle lit dinner ;)

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #58  
Beaver - best slow bar-b-qued. With peppery Teriyaki sauce. Got to get rid of some of that fat. Now - Inuit prepared beaver tail - yum. But one must take care - unless properly prepared - great chance of Botulism.

You haven't lived until you have lived with an Inuit family for a month or so.

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this...
Beaver - best slow bar-b-qued. With peppery Teriyaki sauce. Got to get rid of some of that fat. Now - Inuit prepared beaver tail - yum. But one must take care - unless properly prepared - great chance of Botulism.

You haven't lived until you have lived with an Inuit family for a month or so.
I've had it roasted over an open fire, while attending an outdoor preparedness course; and prepared in a chipped beef recipe using a slow cooker similar to what you describe. The problem with trapping them is that most people only check traps once a week; so you don't know how long it's been under the ice.

/ I sure hope that Moss' wife doesn't read this... #60  
What a huge and diverse country here. Moss is putting away his ice fishing gear while I’m hosing pollen off the porch and truck windshield.