I think I need a Starter

/ I think I need a Starter #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I bought my 2003 Century 2535 brand new from a dealer that started out good, but hasn't been for a very long time. I haven't been there to ask about this, but I will if I have to.

My tractor is the same thing as the Branson 3510

I've had just about every electrical issue there is, but for the last couple of years, it's been perfect. This morning, I got nothing when I tried to start it. Electric fuel pump turned on with the key, but nothing from the starter. I checked the battery and it was at 12.4 volts. I hooked up my jumper cables to my truck, which was at 14.2 volts, and still nothing.

I took off the starter and hooked the jumper cables to it without any result, but then I bypassed the solenoid and the gears would turn, but not come out. Somewhere, while trying to get the cables to touch good, I got a big spark, and the gear shot out. I've only been able to do that the one time, and I haven't been able to figure out what I did to make that happen. The gear shot out, but it wasn't turning. I can make it turn all day long by putting power to the cable going from the solenoid to the starter main body.

I think the solenoid is bad, but since it's on top of the starter, I'm thinking that I have to buy a new starter with the attached solenoid.

Now for the big question. Where do I get a starter for an old Century/Branson tractor? I've tried finding a part number without any luck. Does anybody know what the part number is? I might be able to find one with that information.

There used to be a starter/alternator repair shop in town. They still might be in business, so that's another option that I might have to look into if I really have to.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ I think I need a Starter #2  
   / I think I need a Starter
Superior is my first stop if I can't find anything online. Hawkins is my last resort. I used them once before and it was a disaster.

Thanks

/ I think I need a Starter #4  
No problem. Surprised you had a bad experience at Hawkins. I have used them many times and have quite a few friends that have as well. Never a problem.

/ I think I need a Starter #6  
I bought my 2003 Century 2535 brand new from a dealer that started out good, but hasn't been for a very long time. I haven't been there to ask about this, but I will if I have to.

My tractor is the same thing as the Branson 3510

I've had just about every electrical issue there is, but for the last couple of years, it's been perfect. This morning, I got nothing when I tried to start it. Electric fuel pump turned on with the key, but nothing from the starter. I checked the battery and it was at 12.4 volts. I hooked up my jumper cables to my truck, which was at 14.2 volts, and still nothing.

I took off the starter and hooked the jumper cables to it without any result, but then I bypassed the solenoid and the gears would turn, but not come out. Somewhere, while trying to get the cables to touch good, I got a big spark, and the gear shot out. I've only been able to do that the one time, and I haven't been able to figure out what I did to make that happen. The gear shot out, but it wasn't turning. I can make it turn all day long by putting power to the cable going from the solenoid to the starter main body.

I think the solenoid is bad, but since it's on top of the starter, I'm thinking that I have to buy a new starter with the attached solenoid.

Now for the big question. Where do I get a starter for an old Century/Branson tractor? I've tried finding a part number without any luck. Does anybody know what the part number is? I might be able to find one with that information.

There used to be a starter/alternator repair shop in town. They still might be in business, so that's another option that I might have to look into if I really have to.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Eddie
you'll have to do some hunting online but i have found those solenoids on ebay before, its possible you might be able to as well, ( i shouldn't say this but i'm gonna)as a Branson/TYM Dealer , i would recommend purchasing the oem starter as a last resort they are overpriced for what they are and you can like others posted above find aftermarket replacements that will get he job done if you cant find just the solenoid.

/ I think I need a Starter #7  
I had starter trouble with my Mitsubishi tractor. I took the starter to a starter shop. He could get the parts but (the Bendix) but a complete starter with a new Bendix was only a little higher. I opted for the complete starter. He ordered it and it was there a week later.

/ I think I need a Starter #8  
Chances are good that the 2 contacts in the starter have slowly melted/burned thru so that they don't engage the motor. My Deer did this. New parts are cheap (under $10 on ebay

/ I think I need a Starter
I went to Superior Fleet Services in Tyler this morning and I was told that he couldn't get that starter. He suggested that I go to Hawkins to have it rebuilt. They said that it was the wrong type and they couldn't get parts to rebuild it. They suggested that I go to the dealer where I bought it. So I went to the dealer and he told me that it was stupid expensive. It was so ridiculous that he didn't even want to tell me how much it was. He apologized a couple times too. The cost for a new starter is $1,730

I said that I'd have to pass on that price and that I'd have to keep looking. He understood and then he gave me the part number.

I put in the part number and came up with one that looked very, VERY similar for $135 with free shipping on Ebay. I ordered it and it should be here by Saturday. I feel like I'm taking a gamble on it, but I don't have any better options right now.

Part Number is 170010A1

/ I think I need a Starter #10  
Wishing you the best Eddie. Agree that is an insane price for a starter.

Do your best to make sure the bendix gear is the same teeth style and pitch.