I think I need a Starter

/ I think I need a Starter #11  
Wow that is amazing. I would have thought the Century would have the Yanmar engine like the 4520 I have is. Just looked and they have a Kukje engine. Hopefully that starter will work.

/ I think I need a Starter #12  
A while back I had starter issues with the forklift, it has the solenoid on top and was doing the 'click, click' 40 or 50 times before it would catch and spin over. Took the solenoid off and apart; there is a spring loaded disk plunger that makes contact on two copper square head bolts that are in the bakelite end cap. Between the erosion and carbon arcing, it was difficult to get a good connection. I carefully tapped the bolts out of the bakelite cap, cleaned everything up on the wire wheel and put the bolts back 180 degrees so the uneroded part of the head would contact the disk. Works like new to this day.

/ I think I need a Starter #13  
i just wanted to put this out there because the price Eddie was given for that starter had my jaw drop and i sell the tym/bransons, now i know why, the part number he gave use subs to hrd17001usa1 - retail is $763.13 here this is for the kukje model engine its a direct substitute to the number you were given which explains the extreme high price. More than likely if you had ordered that starter it would have automatically subbed by Rome, Ga to this part #HRD17001USA1, the dealer more than likely didnt know this, i was only able to find it due to having an old email with this number being given as a sub for one we ordered in the past they couldnt get to us.

/ I think I need a Starter
The ebay starter arrived and the bolt holes are too close together.

Amazon has a bunch of part numbers for the same starter, but they all seem to be the same one that I just bought that is too small.

I've searched all of those model numbers and I get the same results.

Is my starter a Poong Sung? is there another type?

Is the Century 2535 really the same as the Branson 3510?

I think that I have the wrong part number. HRD 1700100A1 and HRD17001USA1 isn't it.

The bolt holes on mine are about 4 3/4 inches apart to the center of the holes.

IMG_2503.JPG IMG_2504.JPG

Last edited:
   / I think I need a Starter #15  
Is there a part number that you can find on your removed starter? Which has some fairly chewed up teeth on the driven gear. If it does, and you can find a parts breakdown on both numbers and see if the new guts could go into the housing that you know fits. I know it's a lot of work; that's what we usually have to do with unobtainuim stuff, but with the supply snafus becoming normal it might have to become more mainstream.

/ I think I need a Starter #16  
Eddie, can you post a picture of the new starter you just received?

/ I think I need a Starter
I looked all over the starter with a magnifying glass, and the only thing I could find was this one stamp that looks like "PS" to me. I think it means Poong Sung, but it could also mean just about anything else.

IMG_2518.JPG

Next to each other, you can see that they are similar, but the new one is smaller.

IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2517.JPG

The small starter is Part # HRD 1700100A1 and I need to find the Part # for what I have in my Century 2535

/ I think I need a Starter #18  
Not ideal solution but almost looks the flange of the old one could go on the new one.

/ I think I need a Starter #19  
From the looks of it you should be able to take off the back plate of the solenoid (where the battery cable goes) and clean up everything in there and see if the old one works again. It looks like a gear reduction starter, so there might be a fork on the solenoid that engages the bendix and powers the motor. Since you can power the motor without the bendix extending that would indicate that it's not inertial.
If cleaning up the solenoid makes it work, I'd probably touch up the gears with a dremel or HF mini grinder and return the one that don't fit.

/ I think I need a Starter #20  
Not ideal solution but almost looks the flange of the old one could go on the new one.
This is what I was thinking of when I asked for the picture. I believe it is possible to do that. But would not know for sure till it came apart. The old one allows the starter to stand off father than the new one. I am guessing for clearance of something. But it looks like the starter would clock correctly and from the flange to the gear looks like it would engage the flywheel correctly with out shims.

Eddie, I am out of town working this week but will be back this weekend. I will be glad to look at it with you if you want some help.