Ideas on how to move a shed...

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #31  
Around here, a towing company (or preferably a small shop) with a rollback wrecker would do that move for $100 on a slow day.

Aaron Z

I like this approach. Your time and safety is worth something. But if you really want to do it yourself, stick two pressure treated 4x4 or 6x6 underneath pull it home and leave them under for next time. That's what I did to a shed I know I will move again one day.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #32  
I like this approach. Your time and safety is worth something. But if you really want to do it yourself, stick two pressure treated 4x4 or 6x6 underneath pull it home and leave them under for next time. That's what I did to a shed I know I will move again one day.
Just going next door, I might try it myself, but going down the road any distance, I would let them do it and take the liability.

Aaron Z

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #33  
I moved a 12x12 a couple of miles down the main hiway. I Had a 18ft trailer with side rails. I lifted one end of the shed high enough to back the trailer under the shed. Laid a 2x4 across the bed rails and then let the shed down on it. I then ran around to the back of the shed and lifted it up with the fel and then eased the trailer backwards until the shed was completely on the trailer. Placed another 2x4 across the bed rails for the back of the shed and let it down. Applied rachet straps to hold in place and drove to where I wanted it. Took the fel and repeated the loading procedure in reverse. Probably took me about and hour because I had to drive back to get my tractor before I could unload the shed. Wife did help me, nothing beats another set of eyes on a project like this.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #34  
I moved a 12x14 shed about 200' with heavy PVC pipe. We jacked up one side, laid about 6 or 8 4" pipes under it and let it back down onto the pipes. I attached a sling to my tractor and the shed and started to pull. As the shed rolled forward we placed more pipes from the back, in the front, and continued until we reached its new home. It worked perfect, without any damage.

I don't suggest it for your situation, as I would imagine the transition from the yard to the street and back to the yard again, would be difficult. I think using the trailer is your best bet. Good luck

That's how I moved mine, except it was only a couple of hundred feet.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #35  
We moved a similar sized shed a few years ago by picking it up with two front end loaders and setting it on a trailer. Unloading was just reverse of loading it.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #36  
We've moved a few sheds with our rollback truck. Its easier to unload than load as any point you winch on likely isnt strong enough. Its nice to have something (skidsteer or tractor) to and least push the shed up onto the bed. Unloading is the easiest and we can set it **** near perfect where you want. And yea 100ish$ would work normally.

If I didnt have such tools my first thought before i read any comments was the skid idea. We have sheds on skids up here all the time, its called an ice shack. :D I would put them under the shed and only pull from them as well. Pulling or lifting on the shed itself may damage it unless you support it additionally.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #37  
I have a 8 x 12 storage building I bought for 100.00 just because someone tried moving it the easy way and pulled several floor joists loose and cracked them up. The easiest way isn't always the easiest way. For the safety of your shed, I'd trailer it. Is wasn't built or designed to be dragged or slid, doesn't have the proper foundation to do it. Yeah, they sometimes nail 4 x 4's under them but in reality it won't take much abuse. And for 100.00, it was worth my time to trailer it home and repair the framework.

I use what we refer to as a farm jack to move storage buildings. It's basically an old time bumper jack but big and heavy. It's probably something that was built for the military. Used to buy them for 50.00 at most farm stores. I can load one in 30 minutes by jacking up one end and blocking it, raise the other until you get it high enough to get your trailer under it. I have two 12' long pieces of 2 X 6 tubing, (bars for old shelving rack, pallet racks) I use to block up the building by placing my blocks under the ends so my trailer can back under it. After you get it on the trailer, block it on the trailer to remove the bars. That farm jack makes it really simple to load a building. And I have done it by myself in 30-45 minutes.

Say you don't think your neighbors will mind. Wait til you get it in the middle of the road and it starts breaking up and you have the road blocked. Then you'll see just how pissy they can get. And in a hustle to get it out of the road you destroy your shed. Take the time to do it right. Your structure will appreciate it.

If you don't have long enough poles, go out in the woods and cut you some small trees to use for your beams to block it on your trailer with if you feel it needs more support.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #38  
jimmyj got it right on the money ... here we are talking about it ... :laughing:
a deal on a shed for 500 plus 250 to move seems pretty good
good luck bud.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #39  
My neighbor about a mile away gave me an old 12x12 chicken coop two years ago, the slanted roof type. That was very heavy. The front end loader would hardly pick up one corner. He was a very nervous sort so he had his friend with a 120 hp tractor come and pull it to my place. It already had a 2x6 full floor so we ran two 14' 4x4s under it as skids and then two 4x4s across the top on the front and on the rear of the skids and bolted it all together. Then we hooked a chain to the front corners and down the road we went.

We went slow so we had one side in the ditch a little bit and the side on the road we drove along side with a sprayer to lubricate the road where the skid was on. Hey, the big tractor and water was his idea and it was overkill, but it worked. After he dropped it off I dragged it around my property with my JD 3720 just idling.
When it was in place I just took the 4x4s out and reused them for something else.

/ Ideas on how to move a shed... #40  
I've moved them two ways.

First, to just move one a couple of hundred feet across the grass, I cross-drilled holes in one end of the skids then used long bolts through the holes to attach a log chain between the skids to form a V. Then, I jacked that end of he shed up and just hung it on the trailer hitch of my truck and dragged it to the other location.

The other one had to be moved 4 miles by road. I called a roll-back wrecker and he did it for $100, which I thought was fairly reasonable.