Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ?

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #1  

Dave___in___CT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130, LA723 Loader, BH90 Backhoe, Curtis Cab, || '82 Gravely 8199KT garden tractor
Hi...

What's a good RPM range to let the tractor's hydraulic system warm up when it's cold...?

The Kubota's owner's manual gives times for warm up depending on temperature... 5 to over 20 minutes... >14 degrees to below -?? ...but I don't recall seeing a recommended RPM setting...

New ~30hp... manual transmission... front loader... backhoe... stored outside under partial cover... block heater (may/may not have been plugged in)...

I used about 1,200-1,300 RPM on my previous Deere 750...

Thanks...

Dave...

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #2  
I start with the throttle all the way back (about 600) and gently move up to warm at about 1000 on my NH.
Mark

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #3  
That's what I use to warm my NH up as well... 1000rpm.. starting at slightly less.

Soundguy

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #4  
I Have a Kubota L3830 which is partially covered all year. I generally use 1500 rpm as my warm up spot. I try to let it warm up for 4 - 5 minutes in normal temperatures.

On another thought, what does everyone use as their "cool down" rpm range? I mean, where do you let the engine idle before you turn it off?

buckle

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #5  
My B2710 came with the idle at 1200 rpm. I thought that was a little high, although someone on the forum said it was because of CA emissions requirement. Anyway, I set it back to idle at about 850, but then when I started it up at a dead idle, let it bring up the oil pressure, then increased throttle to anywhere from 1200 to 1500 for warm up. For cool down, I dropped it all the way back to a dead idle (about 850).

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #7  
I'm with Mark. Start out at the lowest rpm and move it up a couple hundred rpm's every couple minutes. You don't want to idle at one speed for very long. That's why you have auxillary idle controllers on alot of diesels that may idle. It will automatically vary the idle. It's standard on my powerstroke and new tractor.

For cool down you only have to worry about this if you have a turbo. If you don't have a turbo you're just wasting fuel to idle. The best idle speed for cool down is with the throttle all the way back for 5-10 minutes depending on how long and hard you've been using the tractor. There are also turbo temp controllers out there as well that will let you know when the turbo is cooled down and will shut the engine off. We have these on all of our pickups and tractors with turbos.

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #8  
I start up at 1,000 RPMs...warm up at 1,500 and cool down at 1,000.

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You don't want to idle at one speed for very long. )</font>

I have heard that before but why? I assumed this was a Turbo thing and for new engines.

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #10  
Many of the newer turbos also have a dedicated oil res. When the engine shuts down the bearings are not starved and are cooled by the oil bath.

I agree with you on engine operation, I do however permote letting the engine idle for 10 to 20 seconds (non turbo). In my case it makes me put the fuel feed back in idle so the next time I start it the engine is not going to a higher than idle rpm. I woul venture to say that most people have had that experiance. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif