Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ?

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #31  
On my TC 40, 1200-1500 is not all that rev'd up. I think the max is somewhere in the 2600-2700 range so 12-15 K is about midpoint. Seems like a good speed for warm-up to me. Hydro trans works well at that speed where at lower speeds is lugs when cold. Also, I don't have a oil pressure gage, but I seem to recall from previous tractors and auto's that oil pressure is generally much lower at idle, so lubrication may be questionable at low cold idle. I have no problem idling my diesel at these low speeds when warmed up (for a short time anyway), but I think for a cold engine, slightly increased speed is the best. Conversely, I'd never warm up at full throttle either. At max rpm's and no load, vacuum is down and piston lubrication is not all what it should be.

/ Idle Speed for Tractor Warmup ? #32  
Diesels use VERY LITTLE fuel and therefore give off little waste heat during idle. It'll take forever to warm up the oil and water in the engine system. Use of a good 10Wxx or 0Wxx engine oil would forego the need for warmup of the engine.

For hydraulic oil, it's very high grade, generally very low or no additive oil. Don't see why it needs to be warmed up. A synthetic hydraulic and gear oil would not require any warmup at all. They'd flow good in anything above -40 degrees. Even most petroleum-based hydraulic and gear oils are good down to -40, too. They're the highest quality oils made by the lubricating oil refineries. I know. I worked in the industry for 31 years.

I'd think that starting up and using gentle operation for the first approx. 5 minutes ought to be better for everything.

Ralph