If I were a tractor engineer......I would...

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #11  
You'd think that with all the surge is tractor sales, that someone would have created themselves a little online business for all these options. Then again, maybe its simply a matter of going to one of those ATV web sites. Although skid plates would be a good idea.

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #12  
If I were a tractor engineer I would add the following features to each tractor built:

1. A good cell phone holder
2. A decent cup holder
3. A place to put a log chain
4. A place to hang a fire extinguisher (like a plastic bracket on the ROPS)
5. A tool box ON EVERY MODEL (******)
6. A place to place extra lynch pins (little holes on the back of the tractor)
7. A place to put my ear protection
8. A modular receiver to hold tools (such as that found on ATV's)
9. A place to hold my sunglasses (or regular glasses)

Others???
I can only agree with #s 3, 5, &6 -- and those only if it they are convenient, rearward and below tractor CG. The toolbox can store an adequate fire extinguisher, and a small glovebox will handle all personal paraphernalia. A good cup holder that you can mount where you want it would be welcome. I would really like a brake lock that engaged both brake pedals so that independent brakes could be used independently but both still locked conveniently.
larry

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #13  
-For sure decent beverage holder, and large enough to take at least 1 liter bottle
-Adaquate tool storage, maybe with inner compartment for pins etc.
-Model specific tool kit.
-Chain storage.

-Hand operated parking brake (hate bending down on mine to engage)

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would...
So was that toothpick a factory or self installed option? ;)

LOL....yep definitely a self installed option. I now have stairway tread welded into the grille to prevent another occurrence. (Trees are hard on stuff....and I ain't "bashful" with my tractor.)

I have lost my cell phone twice on the tractor, my sunglasses once, another time my readers, my soda too many times to count.....as well as various other stuff. My tractor came without a tool box or a grille guard or a fire extinguisher, ...but I added one of each. It just seems to me that some of these features would cost little to incorporate into the tractor design with just a little forethought......and would yield a sales reward. It sure works in other products (think ATV).

As stated by another....a glove box would go a long way to solving my issues with lost stuff.

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #15  
5. A tool box ON EVERY MODEL (******)

Others???[/QUOTE]

A decent tool box instead of the tiny little plastic box on most tractors.

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #16  
need to move toward some sort of modular attachment location thingy. If you want to put an extra tool box , or a gun holder, or a cellphone holder etc.

many of the items listed should be options at least.

chain storage should be a basic item.

i thought you could get an upgraded grill guard.

Rear lights should be an option on all CUT's (mine has a plug for one but no light)

I think every tractor should have a built in 120v (6-800w) inverter and 12v power plug.

I want less electronic bullsht and more real instrumentation. Give me dial gauges for hydraulic oil temp, (espeically on a HST) i want a engine oil temp&press. (not just an idiot light) I want a hydraulic pressure guage (with bypass valve light), I want a PTO speed indicator. not just a light that lights up at (sorta 540rpm)

why do only cabs get heat? why cant i have heat vents to stick my cold hands infront of in the middle of winter?

(my parking brake is already hand operated without bending over)

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #17  
Higher output alternators to handle increased electrical loads people are adding to their rigs (I'm guilty on that one).

Toolbox.

Better instrumentation.

Fire extinguisher and first aid kits as options, if not as standard items.

An optional reversing PTO for those who regularly use 3PH post-hole-diggers. I could have used this a few years ago!

Top-n-tilt as standard with an option to delete for credit.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #18  
I'd have a tractor that doesn't need a Toolbox, nor a first aid kit!
Safe and dependable!:D

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #19  
Some terrific suggestions in this thread for sure.

My thoughts:
1) Chain holder, I go nowhere without my chain and I'm always looking to see where I left it last and its always in the bucket. Pain in the butt.

2) Cup holder, sick of juggling water bottle and ultimately dropping.

3) The inverter is a briliant idea, it would be awsome to be able to have a mini-generator built into my tractor, many would I use that alot.

3a) Cigaret lighter to charge cell phone / blackberry would be very handy.

4) The toolbox thing I don't find myself wanting for to often, if working on something I'm near my all my tools whenever possible.

5) Block heater standard.

6) Remote hydraulic valve.

That's about it for me.

Good thread topic,

Joel

/ If I were a tractor engineer......I would... #20  
I agree with most that new tractors needs a decent toolbox. Most of the time we need a place to store extra stuff like chains, lynch pins couple wrenches etc. As for fire extinguisher, it should be standard, have it mounted to the rops or wheelwell depending on shape of tractor. cups holders, its never enough is it if it came with one ? MY BX kubota has one, but it doesnt make it easy for my morning coffee :rolleyes: . All other ideas that others submitted are great ideas and it should be made to be interchangable between models on same brand as accessories like invertors. Our tractors can reach alot of places, but sometimes we need that power source. definately we need a cell/pda holder somewhere for them rough rides and rollovers. :eek: Its more a safety issue then a need/want.