If there are aliens, what will they look like?

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #881  
I had to look up what mantis shrimp were.....wow. Nice video of one jabbing a fisherman in the foot. Yikes.

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #883  
AKA 'Pistol Shrimp'. Like a breaching whale, electric eel, or Glenn Quagmire, .. 'subduing' your prey is key to 'harvesting' it. 😁

... we all know that good typesetting skills will never go out of style! ...

Younger maternal 'Grampa' was born in '95, became a printer by '15 and in the '60s we'd see dealer brochures of Ford's upcoming models as early as June of the previous model year.

He operated one of his letter presses at home well beyond his retirement from Arnold-Powers, in Detroit in '75 at 80 years old. It wasn't just because he could work the linotype keyboard (not qwerty) apace, but that one of his specialties was hand-typesetting that he was valued. (small & 'hot' jobs, etc).

IMO two of the biggest drivers of technology through the early 20th Century were wars and railroads. At least one of them still makes sense.

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #884  
It is evident.

If one uses the diversity of "effective" life forms found on our home planet as example, ALIENS could look like a great spectrum of possible forms.

Imagine... continuation of life over 100s of thousands of years.

The individual perishes, but the life continues.

Cockroaches just ARE! ;-)

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #885  
CalG, agree 100%. Regardless of imagination it's all about perspective. Ain't it great when you have both? :coffee:

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #886  
If one uses the diversity of "effective" life forms found on our home planet as example, ALIENS could look like a great spectrum of possible forms.

Imagine... continuation of life over 100s of MILLIONS of years.

The individual perishes, but the life continues.
....fixed it.

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #887  
There are more and more engineers waking up to the truth so don't know why you can't believe it.
There's physics and there is theoretical physics.
So answer me this this physics question; how can a vacuum system (space) exist next to a pressure system (atmosphere) without a barrier?
Gravity. Your basic premise only makes sense if the vacuum is surrounded by atmosphere; e.g. a container on earth with all the air pumped out. The barrier is the container, with a powerful driving force, caused by atmospheric pressure, to fill the vacuum.

Assume, arguendo, that the universe is a vacuum; i.e. there are no gasses, only solid objects like earth held together by gravity. The driving force is earth's gravity, holding the gasses on the surface. There is no driving force, i.e. pressure forcing the atmosphere into the vacuum.

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #888  
Gravity. Your basic premise only makes sense if the vacuum is surrounded by atmosphere; e.g. a container on earth with all the air pumped out. The barrier is the container, with a powerful driving force, caused by atmospheric pressure, to fill the vacuum.

Assume, arguendo, that the universe is a vacuum; i.e. there are no gasses, only solid objects like earth held together by gravity. The driving force is earth's gravity, holding the gasses on the surface. There is no driving force, i.e. pressure forcing the atmosphere into the vacuum.
I like your thought process. But where does the gravity originate on this rotating sphere (earth) which is moving around the sun all the while shooting through the solar system at outrageous velocities? When we were on a merry-go-round you went fast enough in a circle you would fly off.

Most scientists will say that space is a vacuum.

However, if this magical gravity (which can distinguish the weights of the oceans and birds of the air) exist then you should be able to replicate, in an experiement, the spherical earth where water sticks to it's rotating surface while vacuum and pressure exist next to each other without a barrier.

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #889  
...AKA 'Pistol Shrimp'. Like a breaching whale, electric eel,...

Pistol shrimp and mantis shrimp are two entirely different species...the former can be found on mud flats etc when the tide is out and rarely get bigger than a man's thumb...mantis shrimp get much larger and I've only ever seen them in much deeper water...on the boats I fished they usually got the "moray treatment"....!

We used to have a saying:

♪♫♪ "He swim in a hole...
and he never let go
It's a moray..." ♪♫♪

/ If there are aliens, what will they look like? #890  
I like your thought process. But where does the gravity originate on this rotating sphere (earth) which is moving around the sun all the while shooting through the solar system at outrageous velocities? When we were on a merry-go-round you went fast enough in a circle you would fly off.

Most scientists will say that space is a vacuum.

However, if this magical gravity (which can distinguish the weights of the oceans and birds of the air) exist then you should be able to replicate, in an experiement, the spherical earth where water sticks to it's rotating surface while vacuum and pressure exist next to each other without a barrier.
I don't know what gravity is, but I can observe it at work. They say the force of gravity is a function of mass of the earth and the thing it attracts. I suspect setting up an experiment might be difficult, if not impossible, because of the minute forces involved in a laboratory scale.
I still say that space does not exert a pressure; the pressure is exerted by the atmosphere, and the driving force is in the opposite direction.