IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #21  
My ROPS is always up, never worn the seat belt but I may start.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #23  
Ouch! That looks ... gnarly.

I am not a rookie, but I try to remind myself that I am not a "black belt", either.
With regards to always wearing the seat belt:
My operator manuals all instruct that:
If your ROPS is up, then your seatbelt should be on.
If your ROPS is down, then your seatbelt should be off.
-Jim

That's great info, makes total sense.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #24  
Here is my rookie mistake from January 2014. My new tractor was delivered the same month. I was putting the brush hog away, lowered it onto the 4 wheel dolly and began pushing on the upper link with one hand above and one below. As you know the upper link moves up and down and will fully collapse if you push on it from above. Here is the outcome.
View attachment 445450

I did the same thing when I was little, the doc had to mash it from the sides to get my thumb back to shape instead of flat. I don't remember much but i do remember crying a lot. Ed

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #25  
Kids and machinery do not mix. Little ones should never be allowed near machinery while in use. Ever. It only takes a second of inattention for a fatal accident to occur. There are just too many things that can go wrong. This applies to tractors as well as any other machinery used indoors or out. In my shop, I had wired all my machinery so it could be shut down from a single location. I only allowed my children into the shop to work on school projects or mother's day gifts with the power to all machines locked out.

This happened in CT not too long ago, it still gives me nightmares: 6-year-old Conn. boy dies in wood chipper accident while helping dad during school vacation - Yahoo News

JerryBob, Thanks for posting the safety guide - I printed it out and will post it in the shed.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #26  
Read your Operator Manuals... front to back. Then re-read them with a highlighter pen in hand.

Invest in a very good set of ear protectors and wear them. Insist/advise that others wear a set if they're in close proximity.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season.
Read your Operator Manuals... front to back. Then re-read them with a highlighter pen in hand.

Invest in a very good set of ear protectors and wear them. Insist/advise that others wear a set if they're in close proximity.

Excellent add on your part wagtail. I use ear plugs always but under certain condirions I use the electronic headsets so I block out the high decibel sound makers but not the voices or "crunching sounds" if any shuld develop. Again good add.

One if the purposes of this thread though is because so many don't read their manuals . . or just as bad . . Manufacturers make their manuals too full of safety warnings to prevent liability. They drone on and on about labels and things that then distance the ourpise from the user. Personally I don't believe the message can be more clwar than when it comes from multiple users who have failed in something and theur hwart us still racing or uses who found newvways to be safe.

Coming from a very black leather jacket time frame long ago bikers, construction people, and machinery drivers are sensitive to appearing to be soft or a woose. The point is . . there just isn't anything cool about being "cold" or hurt or having your "ride" dashed into a 100 more pieces than when you started it.

And hearing and eye sight are right up there in priority :)

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #28  
Ear plugs and safety glasses any time I'm brush hogging for sure. Seat belt too. Good leather gloves in my pocket or tool box for when needed.

I've made it very clear to my kids to stay away when the brush hog is running, in my 30 years of operating a tractor/brush hog, I've seen plenty of projectiles ejected. Even had to ask my neighbor to not stand nearby when watching me a few weeks ago.

Never too old to learn new things, including safety habits.

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season.
Ear plugs and safety glasses any time I'm brush hogging for sure. Seat belt too. Good leather gloves in my pocket or tool box for when needed.

I've made it very clear to my kids to stay away when the brush hog is running, in my 30 years of operating a tractor/brush hog, I've seen plenty of projectiles ejected. Even had to ask my neighbor to not stand nearby when watching me a few weeks ago.

Never too old to learn new things, including safety habits.

Or when you get my age . . to be reminded. Lol

/ IF You are a Tractor Operator in your ROOKIE Season. #30  
Axle...good thread...many things worth remembering. Basically, when I realize I'm in a hurry, I try to hit half speed...impatience leads to problems with heavy equipment.