If you have forgotten what older trucks were like

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
An older chevy on the gauntlet

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #2  
A big block or at least a 350 would have been a better test.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like
A big block or at least a 350 would have been a better test.

No BB in a half ton and I recall the 350 was only 20 horse stronger than the 305 during that era.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #4  
No BB in a half ton and I recall the 350 was only 20 horse stronger than the 305 during that era.
I didn't know it was a 1/2 ton. That makes it an even worse comparison. I don't know what the rating on the truck is but I'm betting it's over loaded.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #5  
A 350 would have had more torque. The larger than stock tires were hurting it too. Still the new trucks tow way better.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #6  

They were all horrible. I remember my buddy having a 1/2 ton GMC V8 with a 3 speed automatic. It literally dropped a gear just turning on the AC.

No thanks!

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #7  
I had a 1996 Regular Cab 454 4x4 GMC 3500. It was gutless compared to my last 07 5.4L F150 with 300 HP. It may have had a BB but didn't have the low end torque of a late model small block.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #8  
Am I the only one thinking a 1985 truck isn't that old? I'm either insulted or am just coming to the realization I'm the old one! Haha

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #9  
It is not just the drive train that has improved. The handling and especially the braking of a newer truck is like night and day compared to that '85 model.

/ If you have forgotten what older trucks were like #10  
I'm still driving my 1981 F150 custom 2wd with 4.9 everyday, it's a good working truck and everything is rebuildable. Is the old stuff as good as the new? Prob not but you can still by rebuild kits for everything, there super easy to work on and parts are cheep. In that aspect there better than newer stuff.

IMG_6728.JPG

That load was 5200lbs with no break hook ups on the truck, wasn't going far but made 3 trips and truck handled it just fine.