If You Heat With Wood ....

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #21  
We "learned" the VERY FIRST time - all pots, pans etc HAD to be on a trivet. Set directly on the stove top - everything got too hot. On a trivet it was just right.

My stove (Harman Oakwood) has a couple of extensions, one on either side. I think the intent was to be a place to dry mittens, etc. but they're quite useful for dishes you want to keep warm but not hot.

Most winters we'll get 7-10 (or sometimes more) days where daytime temperatures never get above 0, and it'll get to -30 or so at night, so the stove is a bit over-sized. Because of that, if it's much above 10 you can't run the stove hot enough to boil water in anything larger than a teakettle without the living room becoming an oven.

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #22  
Yes - definitely. Soups, stews, roasts. We had a really heavy Lopi with a nice flat top. We "learned" the VERY FIRST time - all pots, pans etc HAD to be on a trivet. Set directly on the stove top - everything got too hot. On a trivet it was just right.
Is it like this one? Ours dont seem to get quite hot enough to cook or boil on top unless it's really roaring. Like run you outta the room hot even without fans running. 20181115_230108.jpeg

The "jail" like gizmo is to try and keep the kids from melting their face to the stove! Hoping we can quit using it in a few more years.

Last edited:
   / If You Heat With Wood .... #23  
We have a Napoleon woodstove. Napoleon sells a cooking trivet for their stoves. It's about a 16" by 8" aluminum plate with a grid under it to transfer heat evenly to the surface. I've been thinking of getting one just to have around for emergencies. You pull out the decorative trivet and this one drops in its place.

2DA34240-A355-413E-A5DA-4AFBAB568FD5.jpeg

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #25  
Yes - definitely. Soups, stews, roasts. We had a really heavy Lopi with a nice flat top. We "learned" the VERY FIRST time - all pots, pans etc HAD to be on a trivet. Set directly on the stove top - everything got too hot. On a trivet it was just right.

Previous house we had a Fisher Mama Bear woodstove with two levels of nice flat tops. I learned to use trivets as well. I did boil water directly on the stove however. We built the fires to the back with the front staying a little cooler and at times I would put a cast iron skillet on there and cook pancakes. I was always careful not to cook anything that would splatter, however. The current house has a high efficiency insert, so no cooking on it. I do not eat many baked potatoes but may try that some day. I used to clean the crud off cast iron pans I would find at yard sales, etc. by putting them on the coals and burning on top of them.

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #28  
Inserts are different. Insulated with air channels surrounding and directing air from the blower into the room. Mine right now is blowing 275 F air out into the center of the room. I miss a traditional free standing stove but inserts do not take up floor space if you already have a fireplace and you cannot easily seriously burn yourself on one.

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #29  
Yall got me thinking bake potatoes in stove.20181118_183921.jpeg1542596058435.jpeg

/ If You Heat With Wood .... #30  
We have a Napoleon woodstove. Napoleon sells a cooking trivet for their stoves. It's about a 16" by 8" aluminum plate with a grid under it to transfer heat evenly to the surface. I've been thinking of getting one just to have around for emergencies. You pull out the decorative trivet and this one drops in its place.
I have a wood fired cook stove (Findlay Condor) we can use for emergences, but we don't often use it...

SR