IH 424 governor/ throttle issue

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #11  
Well darn, thought I'd figured it out. It's really got my curiosity up now. That's why I was looking for an exploded view of the throttle assy.. to see if there is some sort of spring attached to the lever under the dash. Thereis normally some sort of friction disc under there, with spring tensionadjustment on others like my 2000 Ford,but it's mainly to hold it in higher rpm positions, to keep it from dropping back towards idle.

Otherwise, I'd have to remove the throttle linkage from the Gov. If it snaps to the WOT position, it's definitely internal. First thing I'd check would be the flyweights, which I'll assume you did. With the cover off, they should move freely. If those are free, then I'd check parts #4 through #17, moving #6, while holding some tension on #5. It should move, but spring #10 in the connecting link. If there is some slop in movement between the two, then I'd take a close look at parts #9. 17, and 4. Especially 9 & 17 as to how it attaches to #6 levers shaft. They should have a hole, with flat sides to lock it in place on that shaft.

This Gov. is different in respect to that portion on the governor's on the C-113/C-123's I have, as the throttle lever the throttle rod hooks to is on the outside of the Gov. housing, and has a set of forks that ride against the thrust bearing.

I am rather confused as to how lever #6 is held in place, compared to lever #5 in this exploded view of the C-123 engine I have Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for Governor and connections, 100, 100hc, 130 and 130hc tractors | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store . On the C-113/C-123's, there is a nut. and lock washer to hold them in place, (10 & 11) whereas the exploded view of the C-146 does not show them. Maybe it was left out, when drawn up, but seems there would need to be something to hold 9 & 17 in place on that shaft, and in the housing. If in fact there is a nut and washer on yours, it could have loosened up, and allow #17 to move freely on that shaft, without controlling/transferring the Gov.'s actions to lever 5. All of that assy. should be easily seen, and moved with the cover removed.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue
I'm thinking I've got it figured out. The spring under the dash has a cam on it. I'm thinking that the linkage to the governor needs to be set so that when the dash spring gets to its "break over" point, it should be pulling on the large spring on the governor. Other wise, when the dash spring reaches "break over", it has a huge mechanical advantage over the governor and just snaps the throttle wide open. Tomorrow I'm gonna adjust the rod from the throttle lever to the governor, then go back and adjust the governor to carb linkage. I'll double check the low idle and high idle adjustments on the governor once I get the linkages adjusted where I want. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue
Ok, I ended up shortening the rod from the throttle lever to the governor about an inch. Now the throttle lever engages the governor spring at about the "break over" point of the throttle lever spring. Definitely works a lot better. Now my throttle position doesn't exactly match the notches on the dash, but that's ok. I'd imagine that someone got pissed when this thing kept snapping to wide open and kept slamming it. Possibly bending the lever. I did have to adjust the high idle on the governor as it was way off as well. Either way, the tractor seems to work ok.

Thanks for you help.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #14  
My 424 runs away

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #15  
At any throttle position..?? If so, I'd image it's the internal governor spring.