IH 424 governor/ throttle issue

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #1  

Maninthemaze

Tractor
IH 424
I recently had a tractor given to me from my grandfather's estate. It's a IH 424 that hasn't run since the late 90's. So far, I've put a fuel pump and tune-up kit on it as well as clean the carb. I've got the tractor running but the throttle linkage is acting weird. Everything is loose and free, but it snaps to wide open anytime I'm not holding onto it. I've done a fair amount of research, and I'm thinking it's something stuck inside the governor. My only concern is there's a large spring at the base of the steering wheel that is oriented to hold it wide open. Is this correct? Is there another spring inside the governor that counteracts this one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #2  
It sounds like the internal spring in the governor has brioken. ( See part # 10 in this exploded view) Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for Governor | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store You may need to replace the thrust bearing too, # 31 in the exploded view.

A fairly easy fix, unhook the throttle linkage, and the linkage going to the carb. 5 bolts hold it on. You may need to remove the fan shroud to get enough room to slide it forward, once you get it broke loose. You'll more than likely need a new gov. housing gasket too.

It's pretty much self contained, so no woory of pieces/parts flying out when you remove the gov. housing.

The spring is $15.00 at Case/IH, and the thrust bearing if needed is $76.75,which is pretty outrageous. Pretty sure you canget aftermarket one's for less.Your choice. Part number for the bearing is 43481D, do a search on Google, and go shopping.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue
Thank you very much. I was afraid that springs and pieces would fall out when I removed the governor.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #4  
Welcome...

Welcome...
The spring wasn't broken and all the parts seemed to be in good shape. I'm not sure where to go next. Maybe the linkage is way out of adjustment? Why would there be a spring forcing it to wide open? When the linkage from the throttle lever to the governor is disconnected, it snaps wide open with a vengeance. Never seen that on a vehicle. Of course this is the first tractor I've really delved into. Thanks again

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #6  
That spring holds tension on the cross shaft fork, that rides on the thrust bearing, which is controlled by the flyweights. Unless that thrust bearing has totally disentigrated, I'd have to speculate either the fork is broken, or the fly weights are stuck, not allowing centrfugal force to let them expand, pushing against the thrust beraring/cross shaft fork to control the rpm's. The thrust bearing is in 3 pieces. Basically, 2 grooved washers, with a caged bearing in between them.

With that cover removed, you should be able to move the fly weights outwards. Just do be careful if you attempt to move the flyweghts, as parts 28 through 30 are loose/spring loaded, and can come out.

That spring holds tension on the cross shaft fork, that rides on the thrust bearing, which is controlled by the flyweights. Unless that thrust bearing has totally disentigrated, I'd have to speculate either the fork is broken, or the fly weights are stuck, not allowing centrfugal force to let them expand, pushing against the thrust beraring/cross shaft fork to control the rpm's. The thrust bearing is in 3 pieces. Basically, 2 grooved washers, with a caged bearing in between them.

With that cover removed, you should be able to move the fly weights outwards. Just do be careful if you attempt to move the flyweghts, as parts 28 through 30 are loose/spring loaded, and can come out.
Ok. I guess I need to buy a book or something that discusses the rod adjustments. With the tractor shut off, the throttle will snap wide open. So the flyweights shouldn't play any role. The thrust bearing (31) and delrin sleeve (32) all seem to be perfectly fine. The fork and spring all seem to be in working order. It just baffles me why this thing wants to go wide open on throttle position and it doesn't matter if the tractor is running or not. Before starting the tractor, you will have to move the throttle to the idle position and hold it there.

Thanks for your help.

/ IH 424 governor/ throttle issue #8  
The only adjustment I'm aware of with what I have, is the yoke on the carb. side. And that is set with the throttle lever set to WOT. You then remove the pin from the yoke, then adjust the yoke with the linkage pulled forward as far as it will go, then adjust the yoke so the pin slips back into the lever.

BUT...., it just dawned on me when I re-read what all you did to it. I saw you cleaned the carb, and I'll assume you removed the carb. I'm now guessing when you installed the carb., you attached the linkage to the carb. on the engine side. I'd have to go look on the 240, but all of the others I have, the linkage attaches to the carb. from the carb. side, and the small cotter pin goes on the engine block side. Otherwise, the linkage from the Gov. to the carb. will bind on the engine block. Just had a little flashback of me doing the same thing on one of my Farmall A's a number of years back. Any movement of the throttle lever, although completely different, the Gov. had enough pull on that linkage, it too went to wide open throttle, and binding on the engine block, held it there.

An easy check, would be to slip the pin out of the yoke on the carb side, and holding it pretty well in line with the arm, move the linkage, and see if it's binding. It should move very easy, if not you've found the problem...

On my tractor there is a plug that forces the linkage to have to come in from the block side. The cotter pin will be on the carb side. It won't go any other way. I ended up buying a book that describes the adjustment of the carb linkage. But it's not gonna be any help. Its says to adjust the carb side linkage with the engine off at first. Then with the engine at high idle (2200 rpm) and then again at low idle (425 rpm). The low idle one will be impossible unless someone is in the seat holding onto the lever. At this point I'm contemplating going to autozone and buying a generic spring and putting it somewhere to counteract the one under the steering wheel. :)

I wonder if this guy got his tractor fixed? He seems to be having the same exact issue.