IHMT and clutch use

/ IHMT and clutch use #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I am sure this subject has been beaten to death here, and I have read a rather lengthy and detailed explanation of the IHMT transmission, but it is still clear as mud to me. From what I read their trans. works just like a HST trans. except you are using hand lever instead of foot pedal. I also think I understand that the clutch is not needed to stop the tractor, you just take your foot of accelerater pedal and the tractor stops just like an HST. If that is the case, what is the purpose of the clutch? Does the tractor really need one or do you not need it "most" of the time? Thanks for the help. I have only heard good things about Yanmar quality and reliability but dealer videos of the operation seem to make it more complicated that a regular HST trans.

/ IHMT and clutch use #2  
Im new to the machine, But from what the dealer told me only use the Clutch when shitting from low-med-high gear. Then I also seen people say its just a dummy clutch for people that are so used to using it it's just like second nature to them. The owner manual says that when you let of the throttle to also apply the brake
Also if you put your column shifter in neutral the tractor will roll.

/ IHMT and clutch use #3  
Yes you are correct if you take your foot of the accelerator it does stop. But even if your in gear and flip the column shifter to neutral the tractor will roll.

/ IHMT and clutch use #4  
If it helps you i just came from a kubota L6060 grand to a yanmar yt359c. The tractor is so smooth running. Everthying about it seems to be top quality. Unfortunately I have an issue with mine right now and didn't get to put a lot of hours on it to really test it out.

/ IHMT and clutch use #5  
I spoke to a dealer about the iHMT transmission and he stated that you in fact do not need to clutch on that tractor.

/ IHMT and clutch use
I have a HST Steiner and it is not advisable to tow if you have issues in the field with it as it can damage the transmission. Maybe that is another advantage to the IHMT since it does indeed have a neutral and would be safer to tow in case of a breakdown.

/ IHMT and clutch use #7  
The clutch is not necessary to operate the YT3 series tractor. Some use the clutch in the same manner as an inching pedal, for when small movements are wanted. As far as shifting ranges as mentioned above, this should only be done when the tractor is stopped. The clutch is not required, but sometimes it will make it easier to move the handle.