Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #81  
Another nice thing about the driver is the attachments you can get for it other then just for screws. I have the one for 3/8's sockets that I use fairly regularly. The drill tips are nice for pilot holes, or just whenever you need a small hole in something and it's easier to use the much smaller driver then to deal with the drill. I've gotten to the point where I mostly just use my drill for mixing joint compound and drilling big holes.

Eddie

/ Impact screw drivers? #82  
Being no expert, I asked the tool salesman why my drill kept on slipping the chuck in reverse.
He said I should only use my drill to drive screws in the impact mode because there is a Jacobs taper inside the motor which wears quite badly if big screws are driven without impact. He also said the the screw heads will strip under high torque unless impact is used and the drill batteries will be damaged by the high current used when high torques is required.
Moral: Use the impact driver for driving big screws. Save uneccessary wear and tear on the cordless drill

Hope this helps someone. it helps me
Jix

/ Impact screw drivers? #83  
I also have a Rockwell 3rill which is a screwdriver/drill/impact sort of hand tool.

I don't think I have ever seen that tool before...in fact its probably the first I've heard of it ;)

/ Impact screw drivers? #84  
I don't think I have ever seen that tool before...in fact its probably the first I've heard of it ;)

This is the hand impact driver that I have:

proto-tool-j7099a-13-piece-hand-impact-driver-set-36.jpg

It's awesome for breaking loose big, crusty screws that you'd otherwise have to drill out.

/ Impact screw drivers? #85  
I wonder of ridgid uses the same lifetime warranty policy as they do on their pipe wrenches.

NO. These tools are warranted to the original purchaser ONLY, when registered with Rigid, and the owner receives a registered receipt online and by mail. If not registered, no warranty. Once registered, warranty covers replacement of tool, batteries, charger, etc.

I busted a lower jaw on a pipewrench a few years back. I had purchased stuff at more than one place as well as been given as gifts, and purchased for me at various places of employment. So returning to where I got it was impossible as I didn't know, nor had receipt. So I contacted them directly to claim on their lifetime warranty.

Not the same policy, does not apply. Proof of actual ownership required.

I was educated to the fact that their lifetime warranty didn't imply "my" lifetime or "forever". It ment the "lifetime" of the tool. Which may not be as long as my lifetime, and certainly not forever.

While not new, this wrench wasn't far from it. Almost no wear on the teeth of the lower jaw that was split in half. They wanted me to pay to ship it to them, and warranty would be at their discretion. If warrantable, they would fix and return but the initial shipping was still on me. If they deemed it not a valid warranty claim, I would have to pay to get the busted tool back.

Well within their rights, since you have no proof of purchase, for whatever reason. "No tickie, no shirtie".

After exchanging some nasty emails with pics of the tool, they finally made it right and sent me a new jaw. But certainly not like dealing with any other lifetime tool warranty. Harbor freight, craftsman, kobalt, etc.

The Sears mall 'anchor' store, AND K-mart anchor stores closest to me just closed for good; no wonder, with their return tool, no questions asked policy. Put them right out of business; and their price on mostly crappy tool quality was ridiculous to begin with, to cover all the 'free' tools they gave away.:rolleyes:

While not lifetime, I like Milwaukee's 5 year warranty. A tool I bought used was returned, deemed unfixable, and a brand new one with new warranty shipped to me all on their dime.

So your expectation is the manufacturer/tool seller should be on the hook forever for tools you buy used, or without any proof of ownership, for whatever reason?! That seems reasonable to you? No restrictions or proof of having actually purchased to tool?

"Lifetime guarantee means lifetime of the tool"? And they say that with a straight face? That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

That's not the warranty policy; that's what they might tell you if you want a free tool for one you can't prove ownership of, for whatever reason. Refer to no tickie, no shirtie policy as stated, above.

Years ago I bought a Gerber Multiplier at Kmart. One day when I really should have made a trip to get a real wrench I two-handed the Multiplier in an effort to save some time. One jaw snapped off. Next trip to Kmart I stopped at the service desk and the girl asked if she could help me. Handing her the tool, I said "Sure. This has a lifetime warranty. It broke, and I ain't dead yet". She laughed and told me to go get a new one.

Refer to Sears/K-Mart anchor stores closed above, in reference to free tools for everyone, no questions asked....

/ Impact screw drivers? #86  
So your expectation is the manufacturer/tool seller should be on the hook forever for tools you buy used, or without any proof of ownership, for whatever reason?! That seems reasonable to you? No restrictions or proof of having actually purchased to tool?

That's not the warranty policy; that's what they might tell you if you want a free tool for one you can't prove ownership of, for whatever reason. Refer to no tickie, no shirtie policy as stated, above.

Refer to Sears/K-Mart anchor stores closed above, in reference to free tools for everyone, no questions asked....

If a tool has been in production for fifty years I can see that they might want proof of purchase. However, virtually no power tool or even hand tool has been in continuous production that long. The tool companies make changes that easily allow them to determine if a tool is five, ten or twenty five years old when it is returned for service. Selling a tool with a "lifetime" guarantee" should not be a game. Lifetime = lifetime. If you are well enough to walk into the store with the broken tool, it should be replaced, no question.

/ Impact screw drivers? #87  
I wonder of ridgid uses the same lifetime warranty policy as they do on their pipe wrenches.

I busted a lower jaw on a pipewrench a few years back. I had purchased stuff at more than one place as well as been given as gifts, and purchased for me at various places of employment. So returning to where I got it was impossible as I didn't know, nor had receipt. So I contacted them directly to claim on their lifetime warranty.

I was educated to the fact that their lifetime warranty didn't imply "my" lifetime or "forever". It ment the "lifetime" of the tool. Which may not be as long as my lifetime, and certainly not forever.

While not new, this wrench wasn't far from it. Almost no wear on the teeth of the lower jaw that was split in half. They wanted me to pay to ship it to them, and warranty would be at their discretion. If warrantable, they would fix and return but the initial shipping was still on me. If they deemed it not a valid warranty claim, I would have to pay to get the busted tool back.

After exchanging some nasty emails with pics of the tool, they finally made it right and sent me a new jaw. But certainly not like dealing with any other lifetime tool warranty. Harbor freight, craftsman, kobalt, etc.

While not lifetime, I like Milwaukee's 5 year warranty. A tool I bought used was returned, deemed unfixable, and a brand new one with new warranty shipped to me all on their dime.

"Lifetime guarantee means lifetime of the tool"? And they say that with a straight face? That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

If a tool has been in production for fifty years I can see that they might want proof of purchase. However, virtually no power tool or even hand tool has been in continuous production that long. The tool companies make changes that easily allow them to determine if a tool is five, ten or twenty five years old when it is returned for service. Selling a tool with a "lifetime" guarantee" should not be a game. Lifetime = lifetime. If you are well enough to walk into the store with the broken tool, it should be replaced, no question.

Everything should be that easy, it's not. Almost anything with a warranty of any kind has fine print clauses, meant to limit who, what when and how one can make a claim on the warranty.
That's just the way it is, not saying it's right, just the way business is done and structured. It's no game either, in fact it's designed to keep the manufacturer in business by eliminating, for the most part, false claims by yard sale tool collectors and used tool buyers. And we're talking impact drivers, their batteries and chargers, not every hand tool ever made.

/ Impact screw drivers? #88  
Use impact rated screw driver tips and socket adapters.

/ Impact screw drivers? #89  
Everything should be that easy, it's not. Almost anything with a warranty of any kind has fine print clauses, meant to limit who, what when and how one can make a claim on the warranty.
That's just the way it is, not saying it's right, just the way business is done and structured. It's no game either, in fact it's designed to keep the manufacturer in business by eliminating, for the most part, false claims by yard sale tool collectors and used tool buyers. And we're talking impact drivers, their batteries and chargers, not every hand tool ever made.

What you are saying is that companies use "lifetime warranties" as a marketing device and that they cover themselves with fine print to avoid having to pay out when a customer returns. I appreciate that is exactly what "lifetime" warranties are all about but because that is such a dishonest marketing technique, I think customers should create as much hassle as they can for companies that try to weasel out of repairs/replacements. Slimy marketing practices deserve to be called out.

/ Impact screw drivers? #90  
At work we have the 18V DeWalt hammer drills and impact drivers. I was so impressed I bought the newer 20V version of each and LOVE them. The impact driver gets used a ton, and has way more power than I ever expected. My neighbor was trying to remove 12" long 1/2" diameter hex cap screws holding down the boards on his bridge....couldn't get them to budge with his corded large hammer drill. My 20V impact driver got most of them out, and the ones that wouldn't budge we used a long breaker bar to start them....his hammer drill still wouldn't move them, but my impact driver would.