Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #471  
Had a couple hours to fab my oil cooler . Still needs to be painted, assembled and installed.
IMG_20230608_151548241.jpg
IMG_20230608_151738827.jpg
IMG_20230608_155423292.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Where are you going to install the new oil cooler?

You know, no one is obligated to keep the sheet metal shell on the house. There are some versions of these 1-t minis made that have open houses. That way, the gas engines can breathe and run cooler.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #473  
Where are you going to install the new oil cooler?
Oil cooler is mounted behind the seat . Only place there was room really. Hopefully will have pics some time later today to show my progress.

Still cutting openings to let the heat out but wanting to leave enough structure to keep it rigid.

Has any one added more weight to the A** of a mini so you can dig better with the hoe perpendicular to the tracks?

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Has any one added more weight to the A** of a mini so you can dig better with the hoe perpendicular to the tracks?
Most of the current crop of Chinese 1-tons have gone to an external cast counterweight of about 100#. My early unit has the 3 internal plates, weighing 75# total. No reason you could not have both.

BTW, a local friend just won another 1-ton mini-X at the monthly Sacramento auction. He is the guy I partnered with on the 6 black units in the container. The auction had 48 excavators, more than half of which were unused Chinese minis. I will post more on that one after it gets picked up.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #475  
Most of the current crop of Chinese 1-tons have gone to an external cast counterweight of about 100#. My early unit has the 3 internal plates, weighing 75# total. No reason you could not have both.
Thanks dfkrug, I didn't know if maybe the under carriage or slew bearings would be in danger of early wear out.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #476  
I've got some pics of what has been done so far.
First up is oil filter.
oil filter.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #478  
The small fans put out 300 cfm combined and only draw 1.5 amps combined.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #479  
make sure to prime all your new oil filled stuff.
prime sytem.jpg

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #480  
Here is the old suction line. Way over spec. Was able to reuse the old fittings , but it took some careful cut off wheel work.
Look at the cross section of " THAT! " hose . Hit it a couple times with an 8 # sledge and it kept its
super hose.jpg
super hose 2.jpg
original shape. Only way to cut it was with a grinder cut off wheel.

Last edited: