Buying Advice In a Quandry

/ In a Quandry
I don't know why everyone thinks you need 100 HP and a 15ft.batwing for 100 acres.I couldn't even turn a rig that big around on "my" 100 acres.I do all the jobs the O.P.described with 44 HP.
I have small food plots(ten or so)from 1/4 to 2 acres;20 acres of wood lot,lots of fence rows and stone walls. I brush-hog maybe 20 acres total of that once a year with a six ft.Brush-hog.
I don't bale any hay but I know they make small balers.

Thanks for your response, I do appreciate it and am looking for input from as many sources as are available... I can understand that someone would want to accomplish a chore in as little time as possible, but until 1940 or so, farmers were using tractors of less than 30 HP for farms of 100 acres, so I do take that into consideration also... the other half of the equation is balancing work on the land with my full-time job... ultimately though, I believe the most important thing is teaching my grandkids that the land is all that matters, well, after family, and that "dirt don't hurt"

/ In a Quandry
What's your budget?

I am looking to spend no more than 35k for a tractor and at that price I can get a tractor , brush hog, box scraper, post hole digger with 12" bit, backhoe and trailer new... i know I need other things like a seeder, tedder, baler, etc. so I am not opposed to purchasing used equipment either... that being said, I prefer new equipment only because if it is new I know who used it, and in what manner...

/ In a Quandry #13  
The best way to shop for tractors is to list your tasks first, then determine how much bare tractor weight you need to SAFELY accomplish your tasks. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models.

For most tractor tasks greater chassis weight is more important than tractor horsepower. This tractor fundamental is difficult for people new to tractors to comprehend. It takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you notice a significant tractor capability increase. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Heavier tractors have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements. Greater mass of heavy-chassis tractors increases tractor stability when transporting loads in the FEL bucket, the most rollover prone of routine tractor tasks. Heavier tractors have larger wheels and tires better able to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs, yielding a smoother, less disturbing passage over rough ground.

Safe hillside operation demands more tractor weight than flat land operation. Heavier tractors have wider wheel spreads making heavier tractors less laterally unstable. Rear wheel spreads may be decreased or increased after jacking up the rear.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are offered in one configuration. Most, such as the high volume kubota standard L series, are sparely equipped to hit competitive price points. Others, such as the Yanmar YT235 and Kubota B2650/B3350 series, include enhanced productivity and comfort components.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are operated in residential applications on one to five fairly flat acres. These "residential tractors" fit in a typical garage.

Tractors over 3,000 pounds bare weight are generally offered in a utilitarian configuration and a deluxe configuration, on a common chassis. Deluxe kit enhances productivity and operating comfort ~~~ but you have to pay. Many tractors over 3,000 pounds bare weight are too tall to fit in a typical garage, even with ROPS folded.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling light implements in order to buy heavier, wider, implements for a heavier tractor you take a hit in depreciation. Passing time with multiple browsers is a pain. ((Ask me how I know.))

For most new to tractors a quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important. Dealer proximity is less important to others, well experienced with tractors, who perform their own maintenance. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment.

Horsepower is only a primary consideration operating PTO powered implements.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

Very well put! You might want to listen to this.

/ In a Quandry
The best way to shop for tractors is to list your tasks first, then determine how much bare tractor weight you need to SAFELY accomplish your tasks. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models.

For most tractor tasks greater chassis weight is more important than tractor horsepower. This tractor fundamental is difficult for people new to tractors to comprehend. It takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before you notice a significant tractor capability increase. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Heavier tractors have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements. Greater mass of heavy-chassis tractors increases tractor stability when transporting loads in the FEL bucket, the most rollover prone of routine tractor tasks. Heavier tractors have larger wheels and tires better able to bridge holes, ruts and downed tree limbs, yielding a smoother, less disturbing passage over rough ground.

Safe hillside operation demands more tractor weight than flat land operation. Heavier tractors have wider wheel spreads making heavier tractors less laterally unstable. Rear wheel spreads may be decreased or increased after jacking up the rear.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

Tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are offered in one configuration. Most, such as the high volume kubota standard L series, are sparely equipped to hit competitive price points. Others, such as the Yanmar YT235 and Kubota B2650/B3350 series, include enhanced productivity and comfort components.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are operated in residential applications on one to five fairly flat acres. These "residential tractors" fit in a typical garage.

Tractors over 3,000 pounds bare weight are generally offered in a utilitarian configuration and a deluxe configuration, on a common chassis. Deluxe kit enhances productivity and operating comfort ~~~ but you have to pay. Many tractors over 3,000 pounds bare weight are too tall to fit in a typical garage, even with ROPS folded.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling light implements in order to buy heavier, wider, implements for a heavier tractor you take a hit in depreciation. Passing time with multiple browsers is a pain. ((Ask me how I know.))

For most new to tractors a quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important. Dealer proximity is less important to others, well experienced with tractors, who perform their own maintenance. My kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment.

Horsepower is only a primary consideration operating PTO powered implements.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR.

thanks a lot for that response... you've given me a lot more to consider :thumbsup:

/ In a Quandry #15  
Do you have experience operating a tractor?

Do you intend to perform your own maintenance and repairs?

How far is it to your nearest Branson dealer? (There are only 165 Branson dealers in the USA.)

Branson 4500 series begins at 5,700 pounds, bare tractor. Sufficient weight for every task you have itemized.

When shopping other tractor brands, new or used, try to focus on tractors from 5,000 to 6,000 pounds bare weight.

Of the tasks you have itemized in Post #1 it is baling hay that requires tractor weight and horsepower, especially large, round bales. However, I doubt you can profitably raise and sell hay on 50 to 60 acres. The equipment is too expensive and processing too weather dependent for a part time farmer.

If you rent your hay field, or farm it on shares with someone who has equipment, you can get by with a 4,000 to 5,000 pound bare weight tractor. You then have a business, with all a businesses tax advantages, especially depreciation.

Last edited:
   / In a Quandry
Do you have experience operating a tractor?

Do you intend to perform your own maintenance and repairs?

How far is it to your nearest Branson dealer?

Branson 4500 series begins at 5,700 pounds, bare tractor. Sufficient weight for every task you have itemized.

I have operated articulated loaders, fork lifts, man lifts etc., not farm tractors per se, and I am a mechanic by trade, so maintaining the equipment will not be an issue in my mind... nearest Branson dealer is 500 miles, so that may be an issue

/ In a Quandry
Very well put! You might want to listen to this.

LOL... my whole point in posting to the forum was to get input from others... my mind is open :thumbsup:

/ In a Quandry #18  
You will get diverse advice here.

You have to pick and choose the advice which is most helpful to YOUR conditions.

The diversity of opinions is T-B-N's strength.

/ In a Quandry #19  
I have operated articulated loaders, fork lifts, man lifts etc., not farm tractors per se, and I am a mechanic by trade, so maintaining the equipment will not be an issue in my mind... nearest Branson dealer is 500 miles, so that may be an issue

Great background.

However, I would want a dealer within thirty miles, tops. You will not have any warranty coverage from 500 miles away. New tractors almost always have some new tractor issues.

/ In a Quandry
You will get diverse advice here.

You have to pick and choose the advice which is most helpful to YOUR conditions.

The diversity of opinions is T-B-N's strength.

I agree completely... knowledge is gained from listening to those who have the experience in what one is considering and applying it to what they themselves have already experienced... I know that ultimately I will come to a conclusion that will benefit myself in all ways.