Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #42  
Actually you just did. So don't claim otherwise.

Yep, so not just me.

When I used TT I found their up-selling of additional products during tax prep annoying. But so far no one beats Norton Utilities software since they merged with Lifelock. Ugh. Time to shop around.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?
I am actually surprised with all the data being mined and reported on the internet that the IRS does not tell you what more you owe at the end of the year.

Yep. I was amazed when poking through TT and entered my employers ID number from W2 and it populated the full W2 info in less than 2 seconds!

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #44  
Actually you just did. So don't claim otherwise.

Yep, so not just me.

Oh oh, they mad. Ain't throwing shade on anybody going to a tax service, only the claim that a tax service will do a better job of it than turbotax, hence why you farm out the task. I call bs on that.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #45  
Oh oh, they mad. Ain't throwing shade on anybody going to a tax service, only the claim that a tax service will do a better job of it than turbotax, hence why you farm out the task. I call bs on that.

I'm not mad. I called you out for labeling people who hire out tax prep as lazy. That is exactly what you did. Now you are backpedaling. Thing is, it's all right here in black and white.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #46  
I'm not mad. I called you out for labeling people who hire out tax prep as lazy. That is exactly what you did. Now you are backpedaling. Thing is, it's all right here in black and white.

Well now I'm just gonna label you as lazy. Lazy RickB, probably has a lawn service mow his lawn. :dance1:

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #47  
I have been doing our taxes for about 30 yrs, and in the last 10 yrs I have been doing personal taxes & basic bookkeeping for anyone. I work from my home office.

That is my semi-retirement work, along with our hobby farm.

I took the Business Administration 3 yr program at the local community college. I completed the H & R Block program / training (not a fan, and I know how they bill). AND I know the business forms, medical forms, tax forms gst returns, assets, write-offs etc. and always ask people for these same details. (Most in / out companies will simply process what you provide, as quickly as they can).
I do the best for our own personal taxes (if I took ours in it would be easily $750 / yr), and I grab every dime I can for us, and anybody else.

I charge for Bookkeeping of the business activities so that I can pull the numbers out of the shoebox of receipts ... $35/hr . This is then added into the tax return info.
IF there is only a Tax Return to do without bookkeeping, then I have a standard fee for the returns - individuals $120, couples $185, students / seniors / limited income... $90.

I have used the Profile professional / accountant Tax Program for many years, I am registered with CRA and authorized for E-Filing. It works for me and provides additional income.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #48  
I've been using TaxAct for the last few years. After paying $175 for a CPA to prepare my simple return and comparing his to mine after running the number through TaxAct, I found the numbers to be exactly the same.

TaxAct does give a discount for returning customers, and they also bring forward the previous year's number for comparison. What I don't like is having to pay and extra $79 for a state tax return in addition to the federal return.

Both returns, state and federal, are electronically filed. Any refund due is normally received within 2 weeks; normally 10 days or less. Self prepared hand written returns have historically taken a couple of months in my case.

Filing your own via TaxAct, H&R, or TT does put all of the responsibility on you. But then, even if you pay someone else to punch in your numbers, it's still your responsibility. They're just putting in your info as you give it to them. In either case, one needs to understand the tax code.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #49  
Why do us old folks (over 80), who only make a little money (less than $40,000) have to pay / file taxes? Seems like to me that we should not have to bother with it after all these years of ...Working....Military Service..... and....paying taxes.

Boy,......is that a stupid question!!!
Cheers,
Mike

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #50  
I'm lucky since my wife did tax returns for H&R back then so she knows the ins and outs.
She always uses the long forms as they offer more possibilities.
Now retired we have our taxes pre paid so as to avoid that year end shocker.

Now on municipal taxes I wish they'd offer some incentive to those that could pay in one lump sum vs the optional delays. Some delays spread them over 5 installments and charge interest.