Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978

/ Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978 #11  
Yes, that is still what I am thinking. Did or can you take the plug off of the test port for the brake circuit and see if any fluid comes out while the PTO is in the On position. You may have to start the tractor in the On position so that high pressure oil doesn’t come out of the port in the Off position. May I suggest trying this with the kill cable pulled out and just turn the engine over.

Last edited:
   / Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978
To close out this query: The symptoms are the result of the PTO clutch in the transmission coming apart. The pressure oil apparently was causing the clutch (while still in the hub) to lock up the PTO shaft.

Thanks again for each input.

Yes, that is still what I am thinking. Did or can you take the plug off of the test port for the brake circuit and see if any fluid comes out while the PTO is in the On position. You may have to start the tractor in the On position so that high pressure oil doesn’t come out of the port in the Off position. May I suggest trying this with the kill cable pulled out and just turn the engine over.
I do not understand why I am just now getting your latest reply. It appears that you posted this on the 3rd and it is now the 10th and I have checked here about 2 or 3 times every day. Thanks much for you help.

/ Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978 #14  
Wow! I don't think I've ever heard of that, but makes sense

/ Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978 #15  
I do not understand why I am just now getting your latest reply. It appears that you posted this on the 3rd and it is now the 10th and I have checked here about 2 or 3 times every day. Thanks much for you help.
Very strange. Flying around in the cloud all this time

Very strange. Flying around in the cloud all this time
I don't know; maybe just me. Anyway, how about this?

I got back on it. The clutch drum's lip is destroyed so that the circlip holding in the discs came loose. Do you know where I can get a good used one?

Also, I need to clean out the transmission case. Can I remove the front bearing support without taking off the rocker cover?
1686442797163.png

I checked my settings. Maybe I have it set right to receive an email when you respond.

Last edited:
   / Independent PTO problem, JD 2240, 1978 #17  
Here is a used clutch:

Front bearing support?

Part 22. I didn't want to have to take off top cover to remove 22 according to steps -- for cleaning metal out of case and getting to pto brake.
IMG_20230610_215031.jpg

IMG_20230610_215559_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230610_215510_HDR.jpg