Indian Corn

/ Indian Corn #1  

dooleysm

Platinum Member
I planted a couple small rows of Indian corn this year with the intention of using them or selling them as decorations at the farmer's market. Now I'm wondering how to prepare the ears for use? I'm sure you've all seen Indian corn decorations in the fall, with the shucks pulled back. So, do I pick it now and pull the shucks back and let them dry that way? Or, should I leave them on the stalks until I'm ready to use them and then pull the shucks back? Or some other option I'm not thinking of?

/ Indian Corn #2  
I'm thinking if you left them alone you might 1) get mold 2) the shuck would be brittle and hard to open up neatly. I'd probably open them up green and hang them out to dry somewhere. You could try both methods and see how it goes.

/ Indian Corn #3  
I've done this and I let the ears get ripe but not dry. I "schuck" the ears 90% of the way to the stalk and hang them. Mold is a problem if hung in a humid place or if there isn't enough air circulation around them.

Sometimes I schuck a bit more, tie 3 ears together with a rough Burlap string and sell them that way... get $2 a set. Someone told me that the 3 ears represent the trinity, and the hanging ears of corn represent a thanks to God for the harvest.

/ Indian Corn
I like hearing from the voice of experience. I think I'll shuck them, tie them up, and hang them in the basement to dry. Thanks for the tips!