INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #11  
You're over thinking it.
Fill it full of a decent grease and rock on.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #12  
Just checked at my local farm supply store, they did not have corn head oil, but they had mystic # 2 ... will that work?

No, it needs to be 0 or 00.

#2 is not thixotropic, like corn head grease, it will just move away from the gear teeth.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #13  
No, it needs to be 0 or 00.

#2 is not thixotropic, like corn head grease, it will just move away from the gear teeth.

That word is too big for this foeum. Just fill it and remove all the trapper air doing it how I stated above. Any grease will actually do. It can't 'move away' from the bevel gears because it has no air space to move into.

You run it on Sunday with no oil, Monday, you'll be buying a new gearbox 'cause it will sieze up.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #14  
I have seen one comment that someone has used Libriplate #105 grease in a cutter gearbox. This is a thin white grease that comes in a squeeze tube (not a grease gun tube) and is sold as an engine rebuilder's grease and also as an outboard motor lower unit (non-shift) grease. I have used a lot of it in outboard motors but not in a cutter.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #18  
Turns out the #105 is NLGI #0

https://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/3_30-No-105_and_C-105.aspx

I have had my hands full of #105, and i have had my hands full of wheel bearing grease, and the #105 is MUCH thinner than the wheel bearing grease. The #105 comes in a plastic squeeze tube and is very easy to squeeze out of the tube. Wheel bearing grease would be much harder to sqeeze out.

The #105 does not "wash out" of outboard motor lower unit, I know that for a fact. But i would think a cutter gearbox would run a lot hotter- maybe that might make a difference.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #19  
That word came up in that thread too. Sounds like an STD to me.

Thixotropic, the property exhibited by certain gels of becoming fluid when stirred or shaken and returning to the semisolid state upon standing.

"this grease is oil puffed up into a thixotropic grease which when comes in contact with moving parts like gears and bearings, it turns into the gear oil of specified viscocity. The rest of the grease forms a mould in the gearcase preventing the liquified oil from leaking past the shaft seals."

Last edited:
   / INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #20  
To answer your question. No you cannot use the cutter all day without oil or grease in the gear box. You will probably make it an hour at the most with the cutter. Of course that leave the rest of the time to drink beer an contemplate the expensive gear box you just destroyed by running it without oil in it.