Installing aftermarket hour meter

/ Installing aftermarket hour meter #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I need to install an after market hour meter on my 3215, which is diesel. I purchased a DC one off of Ebay but want to make sure I install it correctly. The hour meter came with no installation instructions. What gauge of wire should I be using? Does the positive lead attach to the fuel pump or starter and where does the negative terminal attach to? This hourmeter will just run off of the electrical current so whenever the key is turned to the "on" position the meter will be running. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

/ Installing aftermarket hour meter #2  
You need a voltmeter to find a 12V source that is only hot when the key is in the on position. Hook the plus side of the hour meter to that wire and the negative side of the hour meter to a good ground. Most typical hour meters draw less than 1 watt (usually less than 1/2 Watt) of power so it will only add a negligible amount of current draw to the circuit. For wire size you can use 12 gauge stranded which is good for 20 amps. A bit of overkill but probably similar size to other wiring on your tractor.

/ Installing aftermarket hour meter #3  
Generally the positive terminal will be in line with the key when the key is in the on position..

/ Installing aftermarket hour meter
Thanks for the replies. I got the hour meter in yesterday and it works like a champ. I was able to install it just below the instrument panel and tied it into the ignition switch.