Installing work lights- 2005 JD 5103

/ Installing work lights- 2005 JD 5103 #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
Due to time constraints-also known as kids :)- I do my bush hogging mainly at night. My JD 5103 has a great set of headlights and I cut out in the open with few obstacles. There are a few spots I back in to and would like to mount at least one light on my rops facing the rear. I would like to wire this to the switch for the headlights but would like some technical advice before I do this- can the switch handle the extra circuit? What size wire should I use? I thought about mounting a separate switch and going directly to the battery. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

/ Installing work lights- 2005 JD 5103 #2  
I have a few suggestions. I would NOT try and use the light switch as you lock yourself into having the rear light on when you have the headlights, which you may not always want. Depending on the lights used you could draw to many amps, between the headlights and the lights you install.

I see looking at the manual for you tractor you have a spare 30A fuse, I would use that. Manual does not say if the key needs to be on. This saves running a wire all the way to the battery. On the spare fuse, it has to have power connection, but it may not have a connector to the output need to check and see, if this is required. You could just solder the wire to the fuse in the beginning.

Does your ROPS have holes at the top, looking at JDparts, it appears it does? If it does consider this, you should be able to run the wire up through the ROPS, then purchase 2 1.5 X 3/8 bolts. Drill a hole through the bolt (this was easier than I thought), both it running more than one light. Found drilling from one end half way through, then drilling from the other end works the best. Use a .25 inch drill. I used 16 gauge wire. A little WD-40 helps in the drilling. Should only need one wire per light as you can ground it to the ROPS. It takes a little work, run the bolt up through the ROPS and put a nut on the end.

Also put a connector were the ROPS folds down that way you can still take the ROPS, if needed. The bolts can be used to mount the light to and secure it the ROPS. You could also use the bolts to attach a metal bar to and mount a LED light strip to. To me this was nicer than running the wire on the outside of the ROPS.

Lowes cares the plastic flexible tubing to run the wire.

Here is a picture of how it looks, you can see to the right is the switch. On my tractor there was a hole already there.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE268160_19/?tM=FR

Attachments

• ropslights.jpg
    ropslights.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 116
   / Installing work lights- 2005 JD 5103
I have a few suggestions. I would NOT try and use the light switch as you lock yourself into having the rear light on when you have the headlights, which you may not always want. Depending on the lights used you could draw to many amps, between the headlights and the lights you install.

I see looking at the manual for you tractor you have a spare 30A fuse, I would use that. Manual does not say if the key needs to be on. This saves running a wire all the way to the battery. On the spare fuse, it has to have power connection, but it may not have a connector to the output need to check and see, if this is required. You could just solder the wire to the fuse in the beginning.

Does your ROPS have holes at the top, looking at JDparts, it appears it does? If it does consider this, you should be able to run the wire up through the ROPS, then purchase 2 1.5 X 3/8 bolts. Drill a hole through the bolt (this was easier than I thought), both it running more than one light. Found drilling from one end half way through, then drilling from the other end works the best. Use a .25 inch drill. I used 16 gauge wire. A little WD-40 helps in the drilling. Should only need one wire per light as you can ground it to the ROPS. It takes a little work, run the bolt up through the ROPS and put a nut on the end.

Also put a connector were the ROPS folds down that way you can still take the ROPS, if needed. The bolts can be used to mount the light to and secure it the ROPS. You could also use the bolts to attach a metal bar to and mount a LED light strip to. To me this was nicer than running the wire on the outside of the ROPS.

Lowes cares the plastic flexible tubing to run the wire.

Here is a picture of how it looks, you can see to the right is the switch. On my tractor there was a hole already there.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE268160_19/?tM=FR
That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Thank you very much for the detailed response, hopefully they will be installed this weekend.

/ Installing work lights- 2005 JD 5103 #4  
I put a work light on the ROPS for rear work, and used a hole already in the ROPS, as well as the wire available for the work light (taped into the rear wire harness already), and it comes on when the light switch is in the "work" position (no yellow flashers). Worked real slick.