Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster!

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #11  
Gonna be short and sweet on this one. Nearly all the churches destroyed in Mayfield were greatly under insured. Massively under insured. My sister's 100+ year old church building was destroyed in the tornado. It was insured for around $7 million. First estimates to rebuild were north of $30 million. Another across the road from a sister was destroyed. Insured for $700 thousand, rebuild $3 million.

You get the idea.

Some businesses were also underinsured. At least one had dropped all insurance because it was too high and was looking for another carrier. He lost everything.

Check your coverage!! Some companies get your business by undercutting competitors prices and then under insuring their client. They do this by not increasing coverage as rebuilding costs increase.

Check many carriers.

RSKY
RSKY,
thanks for the updates, and the warning/advice. Many of us think we just looked at numbers a few years ago and it’s 15-20!

Any pictures of what the church looked like before? Or an address and maybe we can get a street view?

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #12  
As a trustee for our church I had the insurance company come out last year and we went over all the property, vehicles and buildings. Did the same for my home and property.
Ended up basically redoing the entire policy.
Time does slip by. Its easy to get outdated on coverage.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #13  
Gonna be short and sweet on this one. Nearly all the churches destroyed in Mayfield were greatly under insured. Massively under insured. My sister's 100+ year old church building was destroyed in the tornado. It was insured for around $7 million. First estimates to rebuild were north of $30 million. Another across the road from a sister was destroyed. Insured for $700 thousand, rebuild $3 million.

You get the idea.

Some businesses were also underinsured. At least one had dropped all insurance because it was too high and was looking for another carrier. He lost everything.

Check your coverage!! Some companies get your business by undercutting competitors prices and then under insuring their client. They do this by not increasing coverage as rebuilding costs increase.

Check many carriers.

RSKY
You can build huge, ugly steel pole barns for that money, install a mezzanine level in the sanctuary, have offices, and whatever else, but it will be an ugly building.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #14  
We have no idea of what type of structure the original church he’s talking about is.

If it’s an old brick beast with hand-carved stone trim, and ornate interior carvings, etc., the replacement cost will be astronomical.
That's a product of another century. I doubt any destroyed houses get rebuilt with fish scale siding. If you want a church, build a church. If you want a museum, build a museum.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #15  
You can build huge, ugly steel pole barns for that money, install a mezzanine level in the sanctuary, have offices, and whatever else, but it will be an ugly building.
For the money they are talking, they had a church, a school with a gymnasium and hardwood floors, and a six manual pipe organ.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #16  
That's a product of another century. I doubt any destroyed houses get rebuilt with fish scale siding. If you want a church, build a church. If you want a museum, build a museum.
I know a few people that would disagree with you on restorations. Fastest, most obvious examples are historic districts, where the homes are required to be restored to their original appearance.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #17  
In some of these instances...assuming no mortgages - would it not be better to look at self-insuring for structure rather than paying out crazy premiums for the just in case event? Liability insurance is totally separate and needs to be paid for.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #18  
In some of these instances...assuming no mortgages - would it not be better to look at self-insuring for structure rather than paying out crazy premiums for the just in case event? Liability insurance is totally separate and needs to be paid for.
I discussed under-insuring, with the agent I finally found who would take this old non-compliant farmhouse.

He pointed out that replacement cost would also require several expensive building permits. Because no building permits have ever been issued for this property, it would need a whole new conforming septic system, likely similar testing and possible upgrade for the well and water system (PVC water mains are no longer acceptable), a soil test expert to discover and remove the abandoned underground fuel tank nearly certain to exist on every old farm in the region. There are several huge redwood trees close to the buildings, a danger in earthquake country and a fire hazard. So they would have to be removed or else the new building sited away from them using up part of the apple orchard. A neighbor got bids over $30k for similar tree removal. My property tax would increase drastically.

I decided to insure for what I estimated rebuilding the structure would cost, not for what it would cost to build a modern home that is typical for the area. In case of disaster I would likely just replace with a double-wide to stay within budget. This orchard farmhouse isn't our primary home, that's in town over in the Central Valley.

Liability insurance is the big issue. It would be foolish to cheapskate that. Or worse, to have no one to represent you in case of a claim.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster!
The pipe organ was separately insured for 1.5 million. Many stained glass windows. Front and sides were huge stone blocks about 4’ long and 2’ high. Don’t know if you could ever get replacements. Beautiful old church inside and out.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #20  
I discussed under-insuring, with the agent I finally found who would take this old non-compliant farmhouse.

He pointed out that replacement cost would also require several expensive building permits. Because no building permits have ever been issued for this property, it would need a whole new conforming septic system, likely similar testing and possible upgrade for the well and water system (PVC water mains are no longer acceptable), a soil test expert to discover and remove the abandoned underground fuel tank nearly certain to exist on every old farm in the region. There are several huge redwood trees close to the buildings, a danger in earthquake country and a fire hazard. So they would have to be removed or else the new building sited away from them using up part of the apple orchard. A neighbor got bids over $30k for similar tree removal. My property tax would increase drastically.

I decided to insure for what I estimated rebuilding the structure would cost, not for what it would cost to build a modern home that is typical for the area. In case of disaster I would likely just replace with a double-wide to stay within budget. This orchard farmhouse isn't our primary home, that's in town over in the Central Valley.

Liability insurance is the big issue. It would be foolish to cheapskate that. Or worse, to have no one to represent you in case of a claim.
I've thought about it too when I was having trouble on a well built 1990's home...

Insurance simply said I was less than two miles from the vast East Bay Regional Park system.

It matter not that between me and the park is a Fire House plus three more within 2 miles, or that I have upgraded high pressure city fire hydrant on my property or clay tile roof, triple pane windows, no exploded wood construction, boxed eves and fully fire sprinklered...

In the end CSAA auto club came through...