Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster!

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #21  
In some of these instances...assuming no mortgages - would it not be better to look at self-insuring for structure rather than paying out crazy premiums for the just in case event? Liability insurance is totally separate and needs to be paid for.
In my case, our house is market valued currently around $124K. The insurance company says it will cost well over $250K to replace it. Insurance is around $550 per year. I’d have to save $250K to self insure, while I’ve spent less that $15K on insurance over the last 25+ years in that home.

Don’t know about commercial structures, churches, private schools, etc. Would be interesting to see the numbers on those.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #22  
The pipe organ was separately insured for 1.5 million. Many stained glass windows. Front and sides were huge stone blocks about 4’ long and 2’ high. Don’t know if you could ever get replacements. Beautiful old church inside and out.
Man, that’s tough. :(

I’d guess I’ve been in hundreds of old churches and chapels in my life. Maybe pushing 500. Pipe organs, stained glass, ornate wood carvings, ornate stone carvings, beams, arches, heck, just some pews are works of art. Then there’s the gold leaf, hand painted murals, statuary, tile work…. It goes on and on. Craftsmen and women that can do that kind of thing are getting fewer and fewer, and sometimes you can’t even find the materials they used originally.

Sometimes it’s better to just cut your losses, put up a more practical space for the congregation’s budget, and make a nice memorial/historical display area off to the side so people don’t forget what was.

However, if the congregation has the will, drive, means and knowledge, who knows what they can accomplish? I’ve seen some pretty impressive fund raising in my life.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #23  
In my case, our house is market valued currently around $124K. The insurance company says it will cost well over $250K to replace it. Insurance is around $550 per year. I’d have to save $250K to self insure, while I’ve spent less that $15K on insurance over the last 25+ years in that home.

Don’t know about commercial structures, churches, private schools, etc. Would be interesting to see the numbers on those.
600k to rebuild with 5k premium. (No idea about renewal)

600k assumes total loss but compared to the older neighboring homes my newer build has many fire resistant features.

I’m the only home in the entire area with full fire sprinklers inside and outside (Under eves) with two inch supply at 180 psi. The 2” line comes at an additional cost of $1200 annually.

The engineer owner builder designed right after the Oakland Fire Storm where 3000 homes lost. It was to be his forever home.

Even metal frame triple pane installed to mitigate fire risk as well as clay tile roof and all the engineering required to support the roof seismically.

None of the mitigation measures count when shopping for insurance which I find odd as well as 4” new water main to area hydrants with 180 psi…

Last edited:
   / Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #24  
I just switched my insurance back to USAA. Put the house of 1200 square feet at $385k total replacement cost with possessions. Automatically that gives me up to 25% over to cover the rebuild cost and another 60K to rent while being rebuilt along with some minor riders for about $1200 a year.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #25  
The replacement cost policy is one less thing to worry about.

As for personal property of value… I have none except tools but not well covered as it would require scheduling such as tape Bridgeport Mill and South Bend Lathe.

All of my furniture is hand me downs or free… no heirlooms though.

Cars are separate of course…

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #26  
Ok, what? Your location just says "midwest" but are you sure about those prices?

7/16" OSB is $17.65 at home depot today here in Michigan.

In general, lumber is still 50-100% higher than the pre-pandemic norms, but it's not astronomical anymore, and prices are still dropping daily. People are building like crazy around here.
I thought the same thing. And prices change daily. Looks like 7/16 is about $24 now and 1/2 good stuff for roofing is still $58. And they are building everything with it here also. Don't know if there is anything else they can use. 19/32 now seems to be about $31. STILL almost tripple what it should be.

Last edited:
   / Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #27  
The replacement cost policy is one less thing to worry about.

As for personal property of value… I have none except tools but not well covered as it would require scheduling such as tape Bridgeport Mill and South Bend Lathe.

All of my furniture is hand me downs or free… no heirlooms though.

Cars are separate of course…
Woo hoo! :)

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #28  
So much depends on the type of coverage you have and the insurance company. Some tout their low premiums but when it comes to payout time, that's the bad news.

A few years ago, I had a total loss on a rental house (inherited from my dad.) The insurance company went out of their way to be helpful. Of course, my annual premiums are higher than cut rate outfits.

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #29  
For the money they are talking, they had a church, a school with a gymnasium and hardwood floors, and a six manual pipe organ.

So if a bronze & marble statue of Mao gets destroyed in a tornado, do they rebuild it with OSB & plastic?

/ Insurance and the Tornado, the second disaster! #30  
That's a product of another century. I doubt any destroyed houses get rebuilt with fish scale siding. If you want a church, build a church. If you want a museum, build a museum.
So using your logic, if a 18th century bronze & marble statue gets destroyed by an angry mob riot, does the statue get rebuilt in concrete & plastic?