Insurance is strange!?!

/ Insurance is strange!?! #11  
Does your car insurance pay for oil changes to prevent possible engine sizing up?

I see two things here;
1. Insurance is in the, insurance business. Not the preventive maintains business.
2. Now that you have informed the insurance company of a possible dangerous tree, you may be in for a surprise if it falls and you have to put in a claim. They could deny it due to negligence. I'm not speculating if they would or not; but, the thought crosses my mind.

If it is a danger I would get a few estimates from licensed and bonded tree service and have them take care of it. If the tree falls while they are working on it their insurance will be responsible for damage.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #13  
My reasoning is suppose cutting it down is $5,000.
Have you gotten a quote?
Do you want it cut down just so it doesn't fall on the building or do you have to have it cut down, chopped up, stump removed, swept up, stacked and all pretty?

I just had a large (~3' at base, maybe 40' tall) pine cut down that was leaning over my house in Mississippi. The guy charged $500 total to put it on the ground in ~ 10' sections. No cleanup.
Cleanup would probably have taken him twice as long as getting it horizontal, and cost 3 times as much.

The guy works for the local power company.

Unless you've got some exceptional things I'm not seeing in the pics a crew of 2 should be able to get everything above the gutters on the ground in 2 hours at the most.

Check with the local power companies for references for a licensed and bonded worker and get a good quote with you doing the cleanup.

Like other posters wrote - You know it's a problem, you've told them it's a problem, you can't say "whoops, I didn't think that was going to happen".

/ Insurance is strange!?! #14  
With insurance you are betting you will have a calamity, the insurance company is betting not.

As a homeowner you are responsible for maintenance and upkeep of your property.

If you fail to adequately maintain, you risk having future claims denied and/or your policy being cancelled.

Example, you have an oil furnace in your home. Your insurance will tell you to replace it with a non-oil furnace setup or you will be denied claims and/or have your policy cancelled.

I don't understand why you expect an insurance company to pay for your property maintenance.

Slip and fall accidents occur, but that doesn't mean your insurance is going to start cleaning your snow and salt your walkways for you. Buy a condo if that's what your expectations are.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Insurance is strange!?! #15  
Close to 10k to take 3 silver maples estimated at 70-80 years old down from around my house.

No insurance coverage for preventive maintenance.

Have three more to go, one is over power lines.

Please send cash. LOL.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #16  
I just had a large (~3' at base, maybe 40' tall) pine cut down that was leaning over my house in Mississippi. The guy charged $500 total to put it on the ground in ~ 10' sections. No cleanup.
Cleanup would probably have taken him twice as long as getting it horizontal, and cost 3 times as much.

The guy works for the local power company.

Unless you've got some exceptional things I'm not seeing in the pics a crew of 2 should be able to get everything above the gutters on the ground in 2 hours at the most.

Check with the local power companies for references for a licensed and bonded worker and get a good quote with you doing the cleanup.
^ This right here. There's often a very large price difference between putting a tree on the ground in relatively neat sections and completely removing the wood from a property.

Also, start asking around about reputable, independent climbers/arborists who are licensed and bonded. At least in my area, there are a number of very good climbers that work for a larger company for their "day" job and also have their own insured/bonded business so that they can pick up work on their days off. Frequently they have better scheduling availability than the bigger companies and are able slid in slightly under the price of larger companies.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #17  
A little different… large backyard tree with no access dropped a branch in a windstorm clipping a gutter…

The widow called insurance and company paid for a crane to remove…

Agent said lots of wind damaged and carrier contracted with crew to mitigate…

I was very surprised insurance prices-active

/ Insurance is strange!?! #18  

Not sure if a place like this could help you out,, but it may be work a look.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #19  
Close to 10k to take 3 silver maples estimated at 70-80 years old down from around my house.

No insurance coverage for preventive maintenance.

Have three more to go, one is over power lines.

Please send cash. LOL.
Power company won't remove the one over the lines? Around here our Co-Op takes care of all that. Land owner has to sign waivers out the booty if they do not want the tree removed saying they'll pay for downed line damage.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #20  
Over the lines, yes they will cut the branch off, but next to the lines, no.

Same as they will top a tree under the line, but not take it down.

Power company won't remove the one over the lines? Around here our Co-Op takes care of all that. Land owner has to sign waivers out the booty if they do not want the tree removed saying they'll pay for downed line damage.