Insurance is strange!?!

/ Insurance is strange!?! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a very old large oak tree near the garage and it's leaning towards it. It's I'm sure 100+ years old and probably 4 ft across at the base.
I had our forestry department fellow out last week and had him look at it, he said it's holding on but soon may have to be cut.
Way too much for me, and close to horse stable as well.
I've been with same insurance company 50 years, so I called them. Agent said if it falls on garage that's covered but preventive maintenance is not. My reasoning is suppose cutting it down is $5,000. If it falls on garage full of cars and upstairs equipment, etc., it could be $100,000 claim or more.
Anyone have experience with this...it looks like they'd save money just paying lesser amount!
20211005_153323.jpg
20211005_153329.jpg

/ Insurance is strange!?! #2  
If you have it cut, I would be sure the company is bonded against damage. Big tree, too bad a logging company isn't interested. But only one tree is guess. best wishes,

/ Insurance is strange!?! #3  
Typical. Yes, I agree penny wise pound foolish and all of that. We did a bunch of upgrades to the house specifically to lower the risk of fire, but no discount, so you aren't alone.

However, now that you have advice to take it down, I would take it down promptly lest the insurance company try to claim that you knew it was a problem and failed to act...

All the best,

Peter

/ Insurance is strange!?! #4  
Typical. Yes, I agree penny wise pound foolish and all of that. We did a bunch of upgrades to the house specifically to lower the risk of fire, but no discount, so you aren't alone.

However, now that you have advice to take it down, I would take it down promptly lest the insurance company try to claim that you knew it was a problem and failed to act...

All the best,

Peter

Insurance companies actually should have clauses for obviously problem trees like that.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #5  
No logging company wants to deal with a tree like that. The only thing it's good for is firewood.

Watch a few Youtube videos, buy a saddle and start climbing. :eek:

No, DON'T do that!

I would make sure that whoever cuts it has insurance. It appears that there will be some rope work involved to keep some of the limbs off the garage. Do you suppose your insurance would cover it if you DID try to cut it yourself and it fell on the garage?
I agree, insurance companies are funny. It's pretty simple, really though; take as much of your money as they can, while doing their best not to pay out.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #6  
Strange. Those same companies will fix rock chips for free to avoid having to replace the whole windshield. There is probably a company that will have a rider to cover preventative maintenance. I'm kinda sad, my insurance agent just retired.