Insurance is strange!?!

/ Insurance is strange!?! #51  
From my understanding, if the tree is healthy and falls, they will cover the loss.

if they can tell that the tree was dead or dying and the tree falls into your garage, they will fight the claim and not cover it. Since you have already filed a claim and informed them about the tree, there is no doubt they will not cover that tree.

I had a friend that had his neighbors tree come down into his house. Because the tree was healthy and it came down in a massive storm, my friend had his insurance company pay for the neighbors tree falling into his house. That sounds super crazy to me, but he said it was an: act of god.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #52  
From my understanding, if the tree is healthy and falls, they will cover the loss.

if they can tell that the tree was dead or dying and the tree falls into your garage, they will fight the claim and not cover it. Since you have already filed a claim and informed them about the tree, there is no doubt they will not cover that tree.

I had a friend that had his neighbors tree come down into his house. Because the tree was healthy and it came down in a massive storm, my friend had his insurance company pay for the neighbors tree falling into his house. That sounds super crazy to me, but he said it was an: act of god.
Not sure if this is the same as your friend's...... My neighbor's white pine broke off 10ft above the ground and pivoted over the property line onto my flat single story roof. My insurance company told me I was resposible for the portion of the tree on my side of the property line. I was able to cut and remove the tree from my roof and dispose of it. The insurance allowed me to put in a claim for my time and expense and also paid a roofer to inspect and repair any roof damage. Jon

/ Insurance is strange!?! #54  
Strange. Those same companies will fix rock chips for free to avoid having to replace the whole windshield. There is probably a company that will have a rider to cover preventative maintenance. I'm kinda sad, my insurance agent just retired.
I did the “free windshield replacement” through my auto policy. When I bought a house 4 years later it made my rate increase!

/ Insurance is strange!?! #55  
I did the “free windshield replacement” through my auto policy. When I bought a house 4 years later it made my rate increase!
Change providers. I've had rock chips replaced at least a dozen times in the 30+ years we've been with ours. Had 2 windshields replaced as cracks were too long. Only time my rates have gone up was adding kids to my policy.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #56  
Go rent yourself a large excavator and hook on it and cut through the base enough to allow the excavator to pull it over.
can i do that with my mx5800?

i have 5 q tip trees that need to come out, very healthy but in bad places. straight as an arrow with no branches, all the way to the top, then the crown. they are loblolly pines, i call them 2x4 trees as they are part of a tree farm. maybe 50-75 ft high?

seems to me i can tie a rope around them, as high up as i can get it, and then have a friend keep a little tension on the rope with either my tractor or rtv while i cut.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #57  
Change providers. I've had rock chips replaced at least a dozen times in the 30+ years we've been with ours. Had 2 windshields replaced as cracks were too long. Only time my rates have gone up was adding kids to my policy.
The weird part is that it didn’t effect the homeowners I had at the time. It effected when I bought a new house out of state. The only other insurance claim I’ve had is a CAT 5 hurricane at my house.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #58  
I spent a few nights in a state campground about this time of year. They were getting ready to close for the year and I was the only one there. I started to set up at a site but there was a big, dead yellow birch tree so I chose another spot. I set up my tent, went to the shower room to get cleaned up and was cooking supper when I heard a crash, then the sound of running water. That tree had fallen right where I had been going to set up, cleaning out the water line to the shower house. It was a perfectly quiet day and there was no reason to expect the tree to fall. As much time as I've spent in the woods in the last 50 years I don't believe that I've ever heard another tree come down like that for no obvious reason.
My wife and I were out doing yard work several years ago on opposite ends of the yard. Nice sunny day, no breeze. We both heard a tremendous crash in the woods behind out place. We investigated and a large oak tree just decided it was time to die. Entire thing came down. Snapped off about 5' up from the ground.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #59  
I just went through the same thing about 4 months ago. Had a 90' pine that was 3' from the garage for past 30 years. Then we had a bad wind storm with 80-90 MPH winds and the pine was swaying toward the garage just touching it with each gust. Insurance co. told me the same preventative maint. story and since I called them I guessed they would deny a claim if it fell due to my lack of preventative maint.
I shopped around (called 7 tree services) and only one would take on the job. It cost me 7K to have it taken down. The biggest expense was the crane they had to bring in and probably their insurance in case of damage. They had to cut the canopy branches off first then cut the rest in sections and lowered them down.
It would have been much cheaper to remove the tree before the garage was built.

/ Insurance is strange!?! #60  
"It would have been much cheaper to remove the tree before the garage was built."

I'm sure it would have been cheaper 30 years ago due to inflation but still would have required a crane. Could not drop the tree in one cut due to neighbors house to the south (less than 90') and my house only 8' away.