Interesting attachment

/ Interesting attachment #1  

Tchamp

Silver Member
Tractor
Power trac PT-2422
Has anyone used or had experience using the Lane shark bush hog? It has caught my attention and I’m thinking it would be a good match for the PT line up. See photo attached
IMG_1073.JPG

It can be turned out and angled to mow ditches or the banks of the pond or creek. It can be turned up on its side to trim branches in a vertical cut.
Very interesting.

Last edited:
   / Interesting attachment #2  
Indeed interesting. Kinda like the boom mower attachment, but with a more rigid connection?

/ Interesting attachment
Indeed interesting. Kinda like the boom mower attachment, but with a more rigid connection?

There are several videos on YouTube but I have not the knowledge of how to import them lol

/ Interesting attachment #4  
I've seen a couple of these, but not operated one. I do a lot of the work this thing is made for and I haven't seen a place in my lineup for it.

Two things :

There's a lot of linkages to bend and the height of work necessitates some polycarbonate between the tool and operator

A power pole saw and a chipper will leave a better looking, longer lasting lane or field margin. This type of mowing, particularly of trees induces aggressive regrowth.

/ Interesting attachment
I've seen a couple of these, but not operated one. I do a lot of the work this thing is made for and I haven't seen a place in my lineup for it.

Two things :

There's a lot of linkages to bend and the height of work necessitates some polycarbonate between the tool and operator

A power pole saw and a chipper will leave a better looking, longer lasting lane or field margin. This type of mowing, particularly of trees induces aggressive regrowth.

Hmmmm good thoughts, thanks. I was thinking it would be good for setting up a deer stand in the woods for a clear firing line or to trim my long driveway, walking paths in the woods etc. making a quick work instead of a longer couple days. Just one afternoon mowing out a lane then cleaning up the middle. There are wild blackberries all over where I am from but can’t get to them, this would be a good tool to cut small paths to and through them, not too wide but just enough to be able to navigate without getting tore up by all the briers and underbrush

/ Interesting attachment #6  
The pt brush mower or a hydraulic converted flail mower will destroy the blackberry patch.

Other than blackberries... If you trim trees back at the trunk or major branch they will take a long time to regenerate in the space you just cleared. If you mow the ends of lesser branches the tree will re-take the space rapidly. Basically because the plumbing is left in tact.

From my point of view there's a large expense for the tool then repeated margin mowing frequently.

The polesaw/chipper method is larger time outlay upfront, but less cost and longer lasting effect.

/ Interesting attachment #7  
Has anyone used or had experience using the Lane shark bush hog?

/ Interesting attachment #8  
Ag I almost agreed with you until you brought up blackberries. Blackberries are tubers and love nothing more than getting dug up or chopped up. In our area you see people thinking the Tita tiller will set blackberries back and then have the patch get many times worse. Only real solution is better living through chemistry and a dose of crossbow in the fall or spring.

/ Interesting attachment #9  
Didn't mean to imply that the blackberries won't come back. My point about them was lane shark does nothing the less costly pt mower won't accomplish.

But pulverize an unruly patch w a brush mower and it's mowable in the future... And no longer a thicket.

Agreed chemistry or shading it out w over story growth is the way to slow them down.

/ Interesting attachment #10  
I find the PT brush cutter to be very good.

A couple thing's I'd worry about with the lane shark.

Side weight if you're using it offset on, say, a ditch.

With the PT design, to mow down into a ditch, you approach the ditch at a perpendicular angle. You're 90 degrees to the ditch. Now you could drive too close to the ditch, the ditch bank could collapse, etc., and you may go nose-first into the ditch, but you probably won't roll over.

You could do the same with the lane shark, so that aspect is a wash.

However, you'd be tempted to drive parallel to the ditch with the lane shark offset to one side, and that's where I'd be leery. You get a tire over the edge of a ditch while parallel to it and over you go.

Just my thoughts on that.