interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #12  
I finally figured out that there's a lip in there that decreases the ID at the bottom, just enough that a standard L14-30 plug won't fully seat to twist lock.
Sounds like the same one I ordered Tuesday supposed to be her tomorrow. I saw the comments about it not locking, since I needed a cord I ordered one from the same seller/brand on the assumption it would fit. If someone already had a cord, could the lip be removed from the bottom of the receptacle I wonder.

One of the nicer and easy to install is this unit from Reliance;
Nice idea but $100 in Canada

I was planning on adding an indicator light on the service feed side. I have an of old neon bulb I could wire in. (I have a cutoff at my service pole before it goes underground.)
Same here but I was thinking a panel mount LED

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel
Sounds like the same one I ordered Tuesday supposed to be her tomorrow. I saw the comments about it not locking, since I needed a cord I ordered one from the same seller/brand on the assumption it would fit. If someone already had a cord, could the lip be removed from the bottom of the receptacle I wonder.
This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GDVHTNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

On their ad there, the 5th pic from the left, you could see the lip inside. There's no apparent way to remove that lip, but I suppose where there's a will there's a way. Is it worth the hassle? I'd say hell na! Or, you could just live with their cord...but if something happens to it, you're SOL.

Here's the molded plug on their cord (green one) compared to my cord with the plugs which you could replace. Theirs is around 1/8" less diameter.

PXL_20221007_194621168.MP.jpg

Also keep in mind the knockout on the box is not a knockout, you're gonna have to drill it out with a step drill. Not a deal breaker, but yet another hassle.

Like I said, they sent me one of their 10ft cords for free coz I raised a stink. It's too short for my purposes, but at least I could plug my cord into their cord, make it all work. And Amazon refunded me for the box, so whatever I'll live with it. But if I knew all this beforehand, I wouldn't have ordered this stupid thing. I don't wanna give unrequested advice, but if I was you I'd cancel that order and get something else.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #14  
Different name but exactly the same box.

Like I said, they sent me one of their 10ft cords for free coz I raised a stink. It's too short for my purposes, but at least I could plug my cord into their cord, make it all work. And Amazon refunded me for the box, so whatever I'll live with it. But if I knew all this beforehand, I wouldn't have ordered this stupid thing. I don't wanna give unrequested advice, but if I was you I'd cancel that order and get something else.
Already shipped, supposed to arrive tomorrow. Why would they make the plug a non standard size and cause a bunch of s**t for no appreciable reason. Reason only they'd understand I guess. I'll let you know how it turns out, I have no doubt it'll be the same as yours.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel
I suspect they first made a bunch of these boxes, realized a standard plug won't fit it, so made a bunch of cords with molded plugs to fit it.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #16  
To check if your power is restored, flip off all your breakers, flip off the generator breaker. Then turn on your main, and flip on some breaker to check if the lights are on.
That's why I want an indicator. I can just look at it before going through all the switching.

I can tell the power is restored when the LCD display comes back on at the meter.
My meter is about 150' from the house. My breaker panel is inside the house--Near the back door. I like being able to just look at a glowing light to see if the I have service restored. Having two glowing bulbs would let me know I have both legs for 240v. I'm not going to trek out to the service pole to look at my meter. What if it's pouring down rain or dark? (We occasionally do get rain in South Texas.) :)

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #17  
That's why I want an indicator. I can just look at it before going through all the switching.

My meter is about 150' from the house. My breaker panel is inside the house--Near the back door. I like being able to just look at a glowing light to see if the I have service restored. Having two glowing bulbs would let me know I have both legs for 240v. I'm not going to trek out to the service pole to look at my meter. What if it's pouring down rain or dark? (We occasionally do get rain in South Texas.) :)

How will you connect your indicator into live wires ahead of your main disconnect which gets shut off when the generator runs? And how will you disconnect it or fuse it if it needs to turn off?

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #18  
How will you connect your indicator into live wires ahead of your main disconnect which gets shut off when the generator runs? And how will you disconnect it or fuse it if it needs to turn off?

I can connect them to the hot side of my main breaker. If I have service, they light up. Don't really need to turn them off. Neon can stay on all the time. It lets me know at a glance both legs are up or not. Might have to replace them every 10-15 years but so what. I once had a bad breaker at my pole and was getting only 120v to the house. Some things worked and some didn't. That was confusing for a moment.

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #19  
I'm using an interlock as well. For various reasons (one being that I'm electrically illiterate, the other that I'm always wanting to know and learn) I delved into everything related to wiring up a generator in such a fashion. My electrician, who I was working with to wire my then new garage, looked at me in a puzzled fashion when I mentioned how the generator needed to be wired. After I explained it to him he nodded his head and said "yeah." Anyway... Generators wired such as this (in to the panel) are power "sources" and one doesn't bond the neutral to the generator's frame (or combing with the ground wire) as often is the case with a generator that is a "standalone." The neutral needs to "float"- it gets connected to the neutral in the panel.

I see the requisite wires in the OP's pics, but no idea how the generator is plumbed/wired.

I don't want to say how many plugs I went through before getting the right one! Had an issue with a correct one and broke down and got a Hubbell: after stripping a connector on the first non-Hubbell I found that the Hubbells are FAR superior and that I'd been best off shelling out more in the first place!

/ interlock switch for generator backfeeding panel #20  
My meter is behind my woodshop and power always comes back on at night. :D

I'm thinking of some sort of indicator too, for when the power comes back on.
I look outside. I can see about 30-40 houses. If their lights come on, my power is back. Doesn't work in the daytime, though.