Intermittent starting problem

/ Intermittent starting problem #11  
Should your tractor be the Hydrostatic model, I had a similar problem with the pedal not being centered in the neutral position. On my Kubota L3800 there is a grease fitting but that was not enough. There are roller bearings on the pedal linkage that need manual greasing. They dried out and Occasionally the starter would click but not turn over. Free movement of that linkage and for me problem solved.

/ Intermittent starting problem #12  
What is the "click" that the OP is hearing?

Could be the IP solenoid and not the starter solenoid. If the former then it's most likely a safety switch issue. If the later then there's a bit more needed to discern what the source of the problem is.

/ Intermittent starting problem
Thank y’all for your input. These give me places to start. I’ll post again if these work. Again thanks to all

/ Intermittent starting problem #14  
I think your problem is battery post corrosion. Take those apart and clean with wire brush or file. Apply wd-40 or dielectric grease and reassemble. That ought to cure your ailment.

Could also be corrossion on the hot post of the starter. I had that issue with the OEM Bosch starter on my 2005 JD 4120 one year after the factory warranty expired.

Rather than getting that rebuilt, trying to clean it up myself, or replacing it with an original replacement part from the dealer, I opted for a $ 150 aftermarket "Powerstrike" starter .

That has worked perfectly the last 13 years, which is more than 4 times longer than the original. Another one of those would have cost me $400 at the time. I still have the old one on a shelf in my shop. I might find time to clean it up after I retire from my day job in a few years.

Last edited:
   / Intermittent starting problem #15  
Next time it happens.....as you are sitting on the seat start with all the safety stuff.

Engage and disengage the pto, the clutch, seat switch, hydro pedals, etc. See if one of those is acting temperamental.

If that fails you....take a hammer tand give the starter a little tap tap to see if the solenoid is sticking.

Report back