International Harvester Comparisons

/ International Harvester Comparisons #11  
Nope, I have munchausen by proxy and my wife's been drinking.
I think you’ve been watching too much Dr House

/ International Harvester Comparisons #12  
I think you’ve been watching too much Dr House
True story. My mom would start acting drunk about the time the cork came out of the wine bottle. She rarely had more than a glass on any given day. She still pretty spry at 91.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #13  
True story. My mom would start acting drunk about the time the cork came out of the wine bottle. She rarely had more than a glass on any given day. She still pretty spry at 91.
Ooooo

My mom would be drunk after her first glass of wine…

But she really didn’t drink very often, but when she did, she’d feel it

/ International Harvester Comparisons #14  
Dang it. Wrong thread again. Bless my heart.

Apologies again.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #15  
1960s vehicles can be pretty beat up and need a lot of work. Many can be hard to find parts for. Compact tractors did not start getting electronic engine controls until 2015 or so. Newer ones are more likely to have useful features like four wheel assist, power steering and hydrostatic transmissions. And vital safety features like ROPS (roll bars) and seat belts. The seat belt is to keep you from slipping off the seat in a roll over and getting crushed by the ROPS that otherwise would have saved you.

Four wheel assist is very useful if you have hills as its the only way that there's any braking on the front wheels.

Round bales can get pretty heavy. You want both the loader capacity to lift them and the tractor weight to move them safely. Always lower the loader as far as possible especially when moving a heavy load. You see videos of people driving with the loader high up so they can see under it. That raises thee center of gravity way high which makes it easy to tip over if a wheel goes into a dip or you turn too fast. Learn to look around the load instead of under it.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #16  
What type of a hitch do the tractors have?

That era of tractor likely came new with a "2 Point Hitch". A unique slide in/out connection. But it has been obsolete for at least 50 years.

If you have all the 2 point implements, they can work well, although a little bit frustrating to slide in and out. However, if you need modern implements then you'll either need to convert to 3 point, or get a 2 point to 3 point adapter.

Oh, I see a 3pt on the white one. I can't tell on the yellow one.

/ International Harvester Comparisons #17  
The other thing to keep in mind. Most of that vintage of tractors were 2 wheel drive (which both of those appear to be).

Kubota started introducing 4x4 tractors shortly after that, and then everyone went to 4x4.

You can do a lot with 2 wheel drive. We plowed our front pasture with an old 2 bottom plow... twice, then that was plenty!!! I vaguely think we got the old International stuck in the middle of the field once too.

4 wheel drive is very nice if you're dealing with mud. Also hills. And perhaps snow too.

/ International Harvester Comparisons
1960s vehicles can be pretty beat up and need a lot of work. Many can be hard to find parts for. Compact tractors did not start getting electronic engine controls until 2015 or so. Newer ones are more likely to have useful features like four wheel assist, power steering and hydrostatic transmissions. And vital safety features like ROPS (roll bars) and seat belts. The seat belt is to keep you from slipping off the seat in a roll over and getting crushed by the ROPS that otherwise would have saved you.

Four wheel assist is very useful if you have hills as its the only way that there's any braking on the front wheels.

Round bales can get pretty heavy. You want both the loader capacity to lift them and the tractor weight to move them safely. Always lower the loader as far as possible especially when moving a heavy load. You see videos of people driving with the loader high up so they can see under it. That raises thee center of gravity way high which makes it easy to tip over if a wheel goes into a dip or you turn too fast. Learn to look around the load instead of under it.
Thank you for the information. I'm familiar with driving heavy equipment (tractors/skid steers/etc.) It's more the mechanical part that I'm not familiar with

/ International Harvester Comparisons

That era of tractor likely came new with a "2 Point Hitch". A unique slide in/out connection. But it has been obsolete for at least 50 years.

If you have all the 2 point implements, they can work well, although a little bit frustrating to slide in and out. However, if you need modern implements then you'll either need to convert to 3 point, or get a 2 point to 3 point adapter.

They're both 3 point hitches. Thanks!

/ International Harvester Comparisons #20  

The IH 2424 is the same basic tractor as the AG version the IH 424 and it’s got a 3 point hitch.

I like my IH 424 and parts are pretty much still available. However I do think my TC45 is a MUCH better loader tractor due to the hydrostatic transmission and being four wheel drive.

Tractor data‘s website has specs for both of them.

Side note a paint job can mask the true condition of a tractor.

Being up north the tire chains will be used in the winter for sure.

Last edited: