Internet

/ Internet #1  

Jlblake

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2030 Diesel
What is the best way to get decent internet service in the country? I'm out in the Marquez/Jewett area. Looking into WISP's, satellite and Windstream. The Windstream installer suggested I use a WISP provider. What do you guys do? I need pretty decent speed for work.

Thanks!

/ Internet #2  
What is the best way to get decent internet service in the country? I'm out in the Marquez/Jewett area. Looking into WISP's, satellite and Windstream. The Windstream installer suggested I use a WISP provider. What do you guys do? I need pretty decent speed for work.

Thanks!

Internet Providers in Marquez, TX | May 2020

location, location, location is the primary rural Internet variable. I currently use Verizon Wireless but looking forward (later this year) to a new service called Starlink. Starlink

/ Internet #3  

Thanks!

There are a lot of us old folks on here. I started on a 300 baud back in '84. Now I've a 50GB up at my Va. residence and a 6GB at another. So what do you deem "pretty decent speed"?
My MS ISP gives me 6 down/.6 up. My Mobley often gives 10 down/2 up.

/ Internet #4  
Had a satellite ISP, now using ATT Fixed Wireless (antenna module in attic, wifi router inside with 4 wired pots) same price over 20x data
10Gb sat. - 250Gb cellular

/ Internet #5  
I've had HughesNet for the last twelve years. Satellite is my only option out here.

Starlink was advertising out here for a while - no longer.

I have HughesNet 4. I've heard the HN 5 is faster. 4 is plenty fast enough for me.

Many of the cell phone services provide internet service also. This would not work out here. On a really good day I will get two bar reception on my cell phone. At least 50% of the time my cell phone shows "zip" for reception.

/ Internet #6  
Here on the north coast options are limited. I am following that Starlink thread and hope to be an early adopter!

At ground level our cell phone is zero. I put a booster antenna on a pole 20 ft above the roof, that gives us fully usable phone in the house. To convert to wifi I use a netgear modem hooked to a cradlepoint wireless router. That gives us 2-5 mb up and down depending, which is enough for my wife to watch streaming video and more than enough for web browsing, email etc. Hoping that Starlink is cheaper and faster.

/ Internet #7  
I've had HughesNet for the last twelve years. Satellite is my only option out here.

Starlink was advertising out here for a while - no longer.

I have HughesNet 4. I've heard the HN 5 is faster. 4 is plenty fast enough for me.

Many of the cell phone services provide internet service also. This would not work out here. On a really good day I will get two bar reception on my cell phone. At least 50% of the time my cell phone shows "zip" for reception.

If Starlink is a success then HughesNet will quickly become obsolete. Starlink will be a rural Internet game-changer.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/418734-starlink.html?highlight=

/ Internet #8  
I'm hoping for more options for me, I get unreliable 1mb download which is just enough for Netflix but no other streaming service, and just enough to frustrate one person on a phone or computer... That's with DSL for $50/month, last I looked into satellite it was $120... there's a couple cell phone based options but most use Verison towers which don't have service here, and the one option that looked most hopeful was $100 for the service call to see if it would work then $50/month for I think 5mb...

/ Internet #9  
Satellite link is the only option here. I have the plan that says "up to 15 Mb down", typically it's in the 1 to 3 Mb down range so no point getting a higher speed package. There is talk about a fiberoptic line coming out here, but nothing happening yet.

/ Internet #10  
Another thread has about Ubifi. Appears to use an antenna, etc.

Fortunately, here we could switch to Comcast because they have the lines and all out here. We had them for TV until Xfinity linked with them. Couldn't deal with them then. Went with Centurylink DSL. Proved completely unsatisfactory during these times of heavy use.

On Comcast now for internet and phone.

Ralph