Internet

/ Internet #41  

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST Open Station, Kubota L5460 HST Cab, MF 135 Diesel
I’ve had StarLink satellite internet for 4 months now. Very pleased. I called Windstream yesterday to cancel the $105/month decent 12 Mbps DSL service. Windstream customer retention lady offered me a year at $55 a month Total. Pizzed me off.

/ Internet #42  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Wow! Lucky you. Did you have any heads up that fiber was coming?

All the best,

Peter
Yes, I've been writing about it on various threads here for years. Somehow northeast Mississippi (and maybe all of Ms) got into public money to get fiber all over. In my area both the Telephone company and the electric coop are "fibering" the area. The telephone company is burying most of it while the electric coop is going mostly aerial.
Their rates are about the same. Both started with about the same goal, do the entire area in 3 years and they started about the same time, late 2019. The telephone company is lagging and is now saying 5 years. The electric company got to me first.
Sometimes both companies were working on the same street.
Potentially a terrible waste of public $$.

/ Internet #43  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G
Yes, I've been writing about it on various threads here for years. Somehow northeast Mississippi (and maybe all of Ms) got into public money to get fiber all over. In my area both the Telephone company and the electric coop are "fibering" the area. The telephone company is burying most of it while the electric coop is going mostly aerial.
Their rates are about the same. Both started with about the same goal, do the entire area in 3 years and they started about the same time, late 2019. The telephone company is lagging and is now saying 5 years. The electric company got to me first.

Went from Iuka to Tupelo the other day and noticed a lot of cable installations going on in that part of the state.
On a side note MS apparently forgot to tell Apple maps the Natchez was closed

/ Internet #44  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
I'd like to have fiber, but they haven't run it down my road yet. Which is interesting because they have marked the buried utilities with the little flags twice now, last summer and this spring, but no fiber yet. I swear they have run it on every other road in the area, including the one 200 feet south of me.

/ Internet #45  

Menagerie-Manor

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2310D John Deere LX172 Woodland Mills HM126
Pretty much the same thing here on the southern coast, our local Elec Coop has been pulling fiber for almost 2 years now and lit up their first small section last winter. Been on their list for almost 18 months and with any luck later this year we'll be fiber direct.