Irrigation Options

/ Irrigation Options #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Hey folks,
Was wondering if any of you could share ideas on how you irrigate your gardens? I have about an acre of garden but about half is corn. Have a pond about 100 feet South and then the rows run 100 to 150 feet East and West. Any thoughts on pump size, type of sprinklers etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks

/ Irrigation Options #2  
If the rows are hipped up and the ground has a little slope to it I would rig up a mini "poly pipe" system.

Where you have a flexible pipe or hose run down one end with a little hole punched in it for each row. You pump water down the pipe and it runs out the hole and down the row.

Like what I have pictured but smaller scale. What you want to shoot for is high volume / low pressure. So you don't have to have a large horse power pump, just enough to keep the pipe full.

Some flex sump pump discharge hose is cheap and would work great.

/ Irrigation Options
If the rows are hipped up and the ground has a little slope to it I would rig up a mini "poly pipe" system.

Where you have a flexible pipe or hose run down one end with a little hole punched in it for each row. You pump water down the pipe and it runs out the hole and down the row.

Like what I have pictured but smaller scale. What you want to shoot for is high volume / low pressure. So you don't have to have a large horse power pump, just enough to keep the pipe full.

Some flex sump pump discharge hose is cheap and would work great.

Thanks,
Are you saying one hose per row or would you somehow move the one. Not sure I understand yet.

/ Irrigation Options #4  
We have over an acre of produce and we irrigate with rain birds, on tri-pods stands. We just leave hoses laying everywhere along the walk ways. It isn't 100% convenient, but not all that bad. Flooding wouldn't work well, so this is what we go with, for now.

I have a shallow well, 4" and down about 30 feet. I just use a simple "cottage pump" system similar to this.

/ Irrigation Options #5  
One bigger hose running down the end of the row on the highest side
Poke holes in the pipe in the valley of the row
Water runs downhill filling the valley and soaks in

/ Irrigation Options #6  
I put in a drip irrigation system last year. I am expanding it by 3+ acres this year. I have about a 2 acre pond with an electric pump and sand filters. Much of what we are growing are fruits with some veggies thrown around here and there. You are welcome to drop by the farm and I can show you what I put in. Its not that complicated just labor intensive getting it in place. A nice Kioti makes the job a lot easier...:thumbsup:

/ Irrigation Options
I put in a drip irrigation system last year. I am expanding it by 3+ acres this year. I have about a 2 acre pond with an electric pump and sand filters. Much of what we are growing are fruits with some veggies thrown around here and there. You are welcome to drop by the farm and I can show you what I put in. Its not that complicated just labor intensive getting it in place. A nice Kioti makes the job a lot easier...:thumbsup:

I appreciate the offer. I'll hit you with a PM over the next couple of weeks to see when you may be available. Maybe i can swing by one afternoon after work.
thanks again,
RJ