Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #11  
Live east of the Casecade Mountains in Washington State, get freezing winter weather and snow. I just use the drain back method for the irrigation system. Water drains out of the pipe at 3 feet below grade, so there is no water in the irrigation pipe as it is all aranged to drain either at the well or at the lowest point in the system.
No pressure tank in the system.
How do you keep a prime in the pump without risking freezing?

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing.
Thanks for the ideas so far.

I must have a pressure tank. This is not for open irrigation. It will support hose bibs, drip irrigation and such.

I cannot bury anything. Here in east Tennessee, you hit rock quickly. For instance, my primary well is 5 ft of clay and 195 ft of limestone. :)

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #13  
While you don't get freezing weather for months at a time in TN, it can get down to where pipes would freeze. But the good news is that the line from the well head to the house should be below the frost line.

IF...you have a basement, put the pressure tank, control box and pressure switch down there, and you'll never have to worry about freezing, or building something. I have ours in our basement, and I don't even hear the pressure switch click on. And servicing the controls/tank is a piece of cake. If no basement, consider building an insulated closet in your garage perhaps.

If you want to cover the well head, get one of those plastic fake rocks the well drillers use. It provides more protection than you would think. I wouldn't use it in Chgo climate, but in your area it should be good to go.

This. I am surprised by how many people think the controls and pressure tank HAVE to be at the well head. They don't. Mine are all in a group, pressure and hot water tanks right next to each other and right by the breaker box.

This. I am surprised by how many people think the controls and pressure tank HAVE to be at the well head. They don't. Mine are all in a group, pressure and hot water tanks right next to each other and right by the breaker box.
Well, if there was a house nearby, you would have a point. There isn't.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #15  
With the new information consider a small well insulated fibreglass dome over the well head. Wrap some temperature activated heat tapes around exposed piping As well as insulation.

If the need for irrigation water is year around you might consider a small amount of water running all the time or on timed intervals. This may keep piping downstream of the well head from freezing.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #16  
My Dad built a concrete block pump house above ground with an asphalt roof cover on top that could be removed for service. Every time he'd remove the cover, he'd find a black snake in there because it liked the warmth of the pump house. This was in Middle Tennessee.

He eventually relocated his pressure tank, etc. to the basement of his house.

With the new information consider a small well insulated fibreglass dome over the well head. Wrap some temperature activated heat tapes around exposed piping As well as insulation.

If the need for irrigation water is year around you might consider a small amount of water running all the time or on timed intervals. This may keep piping downstream of the well head from freezing.
Would you have a link to such a dome? The wellhead doesn't need insulation. Just the nearby equipment. Wellhead has a pitless adapter 18" below grade. We get overnight Temps as low as the mid-teens, but not for long as the day heats up usually above freezing. Not worried about the wellhead nor buried piping. Just the well-side equipment.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #18  
Just build a small simple insulated shed around equipment .
Put a 110 volt heat lamp on. Simple line volt tstat for added warmth below say 35. I would build it tall enough to get in and out comfortably. ( my personal experience)

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #19  
I simply built a little shed with 2x4 construction and R11 insulation in the walls and roof and bolted it down to the slab around my well. I added a single flood light with a 100w bulb with a switch for when it gets below 15 F for any length of time. If it stays above 15 F, just the use of the well keeps it from freezing. For your application where it won't be used as often as a home well you might need to run the light more often.

It's not a good idea to get your 120v from one leg of your 240v that runs the pump for your light, I ran a separate 12-2 just for the light and the switch is located in my utility shed about 30' from the wellhouse so I don't even have to open the wellhouse in cold weather. Has been working good for 16 years now and have had a few sub-zero spells over the years.

/ Irrigation well. Questions about pressure tank and freezing. #20  
Or use two bulbs in series to use 240, or buy a 240V bulb...

Insulating the pump house will get you a lot, and insulating the pipe helps even more.

All the best,

Peter