Is 25hp enough?

/ Is 25hp enough? #1  

Botajames

Tractor
Kubota l2650
I currently have an old L2650, 29hp, and long story short I’m looking at getting rid of it and buying new. I’m not sure if I should get something else around 30hp again or if I would be okay with 25hp. I use it for mowing, fixing 1000ft of flat driveway with a 5ft box blade, removing snow, and moving firewood/logs. I mow with a 54” flail mower that is rated to min 22pto hp, it can handle light brush, but usually I don’t do more than 8” weeds and grass occasionally. I also have access to a 4ft rotary if needed. Most 25hp have around 19pto, I’m not sure if that will be enough to use my flail for the cutting what I do or my other chores without issues. My options for new (all with loader) in my price range are 30-35hp ish, 25 with backhoe or belly mower and sell the flail, Or just a 25 with loader and use what I have. Backhoe is not needed but could come in handy for cleaning up the edge of my pond, small stump removal, and what ever else. I don’t have space to store a 0-turn and tractor. I’m sure a 25 can do it but should it? How much should wheel size be considered? Thank you.

/ Is 25hp enough? #3  
I can say for a fact that a 25hp will be enough, the question is, do you feel it would be enough. You are used to a 29hp that weighs #3k lb. If you do go with a 25hp, get at least a #2,500 lb. one, load the tires and make it heavy. You don't describe your property other than a 1,000 food driveway so it is a little hard to know about the backhoe. That long a drive is not easy to plow in the snow, I assume you have snow since you don't mention anything about it and your location isn't apparent.

/ Is 25hp enough? #4  
I currently have an old L2650, 29hp, and long story short I’m looking at getting rid of it and buying new. I’m not sure if I should get something else around 30hp again or if I would be okay with 25hp. I use it for mowing, fixing 1000ft of flat driveway with a 5ft box blade, removing snow, and moving firewood/logs. I mow with a 54” flail mower that is rated to min 22pto hp, it can handle light brush, but usually I don’t do more than 8” weeds and grass occasionally. I also have access to a 4ft rotary if needed. Most 25hp have around 19pto, I’m not sure if that will be enough to use my flail for the cutting what I do or my other chores without issues. My options for new (all with loader) in my price range are 30-35hp ish, 25 with backhoe or belly mower and sell the flail, Or just a 25 with loader and use what I have. Backhoe is not needed but could come in handy for cleaning up the edge of my pond, small stump removal, and what ever else. I don’t have space to store a 0-turn and tractor. I’m sure a 25 can do it but should it? How much should wheel size be considered? Thank you.

You should hold on to the L2650 as the new mules have the pollution control crap that you do not want or need.

You should also keep the flail mower as belly mowers are a real pain to own and work on.

Renting instead of buying and owning a backhoe when needed will save you money and the small track drive
backhoes are much more stable than tractor mounted back hoes because they have a lower center of gravity.

/ Is 25hp enough? #5  
Weight does work not HP. HP just decides how fast you can do the work.

I would say 25 is enough for what you describe depending on the BH. On a B series I think you’d be okay but slow, on a. l I think it would be painfully slow. FWIW when I upgraded to my MX it was mostly because I had a bunch of farmed tree stumps on my new land. Took nearly an hour to dig one out with the BX having to dig down about 3’ before I could break it loose. MX would average 10 stumps an hour digging the same 3’ and pulling them out. All about hydraulic flow rates with BH work.

/ Is 25hp enough? #6  
I have no issues doing what you are suggesting with my L2550DT with 6300 hours so likely it is now 25 or maybe less HP. :)
Why are you abandoning the 2650?

/ Is 25hp enough? #7  

Kubota L2650​

Kubota L2650 tractor photo
1990 - 1993
L50 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Kubota L2650 Weight
2WD :2,380 lbs
1079 kg
4WD :2,600 lbs
1179 kg
GST :2,655 lbs
1204 kg

New tractor prices are extremely high in 2022. All brands.

Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

If you buy over 25.4794 horsepower the tractor will have somewhat complex, Tier IV emission controls which you will pay for. That may be fine.

It is your tractor PTO power applications that should tip this decision. I favor a little more, over de minimIs horsepower.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Last edited:
   / Is 25hp enough? #8  
HST eats up some of the available HP so keep that in mind when choosing transmissions.

/ Is 25hp enough? #9  
How much should wheel size be considered?
If you remain in the Compact Tractor category, wheel size offered by the factories will be proportional to bare tractor weight.

So your real question is, perhaps, ~~~ am I considering a heavy enough tractor?

Last edited:
   / Is 25hp enough? #10  
The "moving firewood/logs" caught my attention because it's so easy to underestimate the weight of a log. One of the members here recently posted that he keeps a weight estimator chart handy when using his grapple. It's worthwhile to take a look at the chart and then consider the tractor's capacity to handle the loads that are expected in terms of lift capacity and in terms of the tractor's overall weight itself to handle those loads. Green Log Weight Charts & Calculator | Sherrilltree