Is 25hp enough?

/ Is 25hp enough?
All great replies, thank you. My current tractor is great, looking to sell it to finish paying off the ex, then get monthly payments on something else, otherwise I don’t want to get rid of it. I originally got it to clear out land to build my house. I live in CT on a few acres, basically flat, 1/2 acre bass pond, about 1.5 acres “lawn” to mow. For snow, typically there is 8-12” a few times a year, maybe every 8 years 2+feet. So my house is still fairly new and I got lots of outdoor projects I want to do that i think I would actually get to with a BH, but it would also make sense if on a smaller tractor it doesn’t do much.

There weight of the tractor is not something I really considered, let alone how much it affects evening. I would say I move a couple large trees a year, and keep things looking good. I’m decently not a tractor expert, but once I got one I found it to be the best tool I have.

/ Is 25hp enough? #12  
I live in CT on a few acres, basically flat.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

/ Is 25hp enough? #13  
Given the pricing of new tractors, emissions on those above 25 hp, I'd suggest that you explore some way to keep what you have. Bank loan, extra hours at work, second job, borrow from family. I don't know what other options you have open to you, but overall, wouldn't a new purchase cost you more to have less tractor than you already own?

/ Is 25hp enough? #14  
This doesn’t seem like a good financial strategy unless it’s the absolute last ditch effort. New tractors probably cost 50 percent more than you paid for that one plus they’re underpowered if you get a 25hp one or saddled with emissions crap.

/ Is 25hp enough? #15  
If your L2650 has 4-WD you should be able to drag ~ 1,700 pounds over flat ground with chains attached to your rear/center drawbar.

You have to be cautious the towed load does not encounter a block, which can upend the tractor on its rear wheels. Pull at a walking pace with patience.

Last edited:
   / Is 25hp enough? #17  
^^ Same here. I know I put my little BX2200 to it's max.

It has never failed me. But I also maintain it very well. I recognize that I need to replace things earlier because of this. But that is to be expected.

I had a chance to operate a L4701HST a few months ago, and I fell in love with it especially for mowing operations.

/ Is 25hp enough? #18  
I currently have an old L2650, 29hp, and long story short I’m looking at getting rid of it and buying new. I’m not sure if I should get something else around 30hp again or if I would be okay with 25hp. I use it for mowing, fixing 1000ft of flat driveway with a 5ft box blade, removing snow, and moving firewood/logs. I mow with a 54” flail mower that is rated to min 22pto hp, it can handle light brush, but usually I don’t do more than 8” weeds and grass occasionally. I also have access to a 4ft rotary if needed. Most 25hp have around 19pto, I’m not sure if that will be enough to use my flail for the cutting what I do or my other chores without issues. My options for new (all with loader) in my price range are 30-35hp ish, 25 with backhoe or belly mower and sell the flail, Or just a 25 with loader and use what I have. Backhoe is not needed but could come in handy for cleaning up the edge of my pond, small stump removal, and what ever else. I don’t have space to store a 0-turn and tractor. I’m sure a 25 can do it but should it? How much should wheel size be considered? Thank you.
I run a 60 inch flail on my T1510 (27 PTO HP, if I recall correctly, and 30 Eng HP - my neighbor has a 1025 (don't remember the specs right off, but definitely smaller than what I am running - the 1025 runs it like a dream, and this is trail grooming trails that were first cut over the last 2 yrs, so some really good hard work!!
But what I can't get over, is why you would be getting rid of a perfectly good tractor that fits the bill for ya, unless there is additional plans you are considering - but that's just me - but in your buy, there is the emission side of things you might want to consider - actually consider avoiding - here there is a 30 Eng HP and lower not having to have emission systems installed - and regardless of what anybody tries to tell ya, you WILL encounter problems with an emission system, REGARDLESS of which style, I do not mean right away, but there are loads of errors known to have occurred well BEFORE the 500hr mark. REGARDLESS of hours on the machine, emission systems will give you problems.
All the best with this project of determining replacement - cheers

/ Is 25hp enough? #19  
Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.
Tractor weight does mean something but so does HP.

I have a little b8200 19hp machine that moves around on flat ground real easily. Then I went to move a load of stone up a steep driveway and I would almost have to shift into low gear. This may not seam like a big deal but moving 10ton of stone 700ft in low gear would easily take 2x as long..or else I would have to shift in/out of low every trip up the hill.

I now have a 40hp machine.

/ Is 25hp enough? #20  
My 25Hp machine is great for loader work. It has enough power to spin the loaded tires in low, and enough grunt to move itself and load pretty quickly up scary steep hills (as fast as I care to go).

Where it lacks is PTO power. She bogs down in heavy grass with a five ft rotary brush cutter or six ft finish mower. These are oversized by the numbers, but overall it works. And If I were to upgrade, I'd go all the way and get a much larger cab tractor. The cab is more of priority than other options to me now.

Also note that my property is about 3 acres of fairly flat, mostly grassed areas. Home chores are exceptionally easy with this rig. But I mow small fields as a side business and the tractor gets a real workout on other properties.