Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple.

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #1  

HP942

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
Here is my situation, I have an LS XJ2025H and it is great for my 3.5 acre lot. I mow and landscape with it. I also keep a good supply of firewood logs to cut and split for my fireplace. I am currently using pallet forks to move my logs to the cutting/splitting area and to my small band-sawmill. Grapples appear to be the cat’s meow, but I really only see me using it to move logs now. I don’t have a 3rd function or diverter and don’t know if I can justify the cost. I’m a couple years away from retiring and will be spending more time at my 120 “farm” and hunting property. I plan on buying an additional larger 40-50 hp tractor then with a grapple. A grapple purchased now would likely be too small and light weight to use on the future machine. Am I missing out….is a grapple for my small tractor worth it? The cool factor is there, but is it practical?

I forgot to mention, I have loaded rear tires and alway use a counterweight on the 3PH.

Last edited:
   / Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #2  
25 HP is not a problem with the grapple but the light weight of the tractor is a factor. If you are getting by with the forks and plan on a bigger tractor later then I would wait on the grapple.

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #3  
It’s not the HP, it’s the capabilities of the FEL and weight of the tractor.

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #4  
I only see using a grapple to move logs. I don’t have a 3rd function or diverter and don’t know if I can justify the cost.

I have loaded rear tires and alway use a counterweight on the 3PH.

Buy light duty clamp-on Pallet Forks for your LS XJ2025H moving logs.

30" length optimum. 36" length max.

LS XJ2025 Attachments​

LS LL2101 Loader
Loader weight:638 lbs
289 kg
Height (to pin):85.7 inches
217 cm
Clearance, dumped bucket:65 inches
165 cm
Dump reach:22 inches
55 cm
Dump angle:52°
Rollback angle:43°
Breakout force (at pin):1643 lbs
745 kg
Lift to full height (at pin):1277 lbs
579 kg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 168

Last edited:
   / Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #5  
I have an LS XJ2025H and it is great for my 3.5 acre lot. When I retire I plan on buying a 40-50 hp tractor with a grapple.

LS XJ2025 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:59 inches
149 cm
Length:103 inches
261 cm
Width:44.9 inches
114 cm
Height (ROPS):92.3 inches
234 cm
Gear Weight:1785 lbs
809 kg
Hydro Weight:1609 lbs
729 kg

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #6  
I've an even smaller tractor, a Kubota B7610, and although I've long desired a grapple I've gotten along well with pallet forks and a chain to wrap around stuff like branches and stumps.
But for moving logs to a small sawmill my B7610 couldn't lift much of a log with the FEL but I used a set of 3pt pallet forks like Pallet Forks, Pallet Fork, 3 Point Pallet Forks 3 Pt Pallet | Agri Supply 72511

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #7  
I've an even smaller tractor, a Kubota B7610, and although I've long desired a grapple I've gotten along well with pallet forks and a chain to wrap around stuff like branches and stumps.
But for moving logs to a small sawmill my B7610 couldn't lift much of a log with the FEL but I used a set of 3pt pallet forks like Pallet Forks, Pallet Fork, 3 Point Pallet Forks 3 Pt Pallet | Agri Supply 72511

LS XJ2025​

tractor hitch
Rear Type:I
Control:position control
Rear lift (at ends):1433 lbs
650 kg

In the case of the LS XJ2025H there is no practical additional lift a the TPH over the FEL.
TPH = 1,433
FEL = 1277 TO FULL HEIGHT.

The FEL MAY have more lift capacity to, say, 30" height.

Last edited:
   / Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple.

30" length optimum. 36" length max.

LS XJ2025 Attachments​

LS LL2101 Loader
Loader weight:638 lbs
289 kg
Height (to pin):85.7 inches
217 cm
Clearance, dumped bucket:65 inches
165 cm
Dump reach:22 inches
55 cm
Dump angle:52°
Rollback angle:43°
Breakout force (at pin):1643 lbs
745 kg
Lift to full height (at pin):1277 lbs
579 kg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 168

I have pallet forks and use them all the time. I would love to have a grapple, but I think I’ll wait until I have a second tractor.

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #9  

Pretty sure he already has a set of pallet forks...

I am currently using pallet forks to move my logs to the cutting/splitting area and to my small band-sawmill.

I would wait on the grapple if you are going to purchase a larger machine in the future... to put the 3rd function on your current & buy a grapple for it... only to purchease a bigger machine in the next couple of years... keep using your forks for now & put the money into the bigger machine....

/ Is a 25 HP tractor too small for a grapple. #10  
You might want to look at a forestry grapple, such as the Frostbite or Sundown GR40. I put one of those on my NH TC33D with a Woods 1012 loader. They are great for moving logs (not good for firewood or other small objects). They weigh a good bit less than other grapples, so you are not sacrificing much lift capacity to the weight of your grapple: my Sundown GR40 weighs almost the same as the bucket it replaces. The upside is that the grapple is heavy-duty enough to be used on larger tractors, so you could take it with you to your future 40-50 HP tractor.

I would not be without my forestry grapple. I do a lot of work in the woods and have shuffled a lot of logs with it. There are some downsides: while it works great for moving logs and picking up brush, it is not useful for moving smaller items (cut and split firewood, small rocks, etc.) As others have noted, the size and weight of your tractor will limit the size of logs you can handle.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
BENCH (A34011)
BENCH (A34011)
Pallet of Wrecker Attachments (A34007)
Pallet of Wrecker...
Ferguson 7ft. 3pt. Disc Adjustable (A33978)
Ferguson 7ft. 3pt...
New Self Dumping Trash Hopper (A34302)
New Self Dumping...
2017 Ford F-550 Flatbed Truck (A33548)
2017 Ford F-550...