Is a 3hp upgrade worth it?

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it?
Well, after a couple failed negotiation attempts where dealer refused to budge, managed to get a barely used rotary cutter thrown in the for the 5k, without buyback. I didn't want to float the money, but can't bear trading it in for 3k. Annoyingly, I need to go down there again for payment and registration, i suggested we could do it on the delivery day, but oh well.

Interestingly, within half an hour of listing, had someone offer 3500, he said he couldn't offer more as it was for resale, and that I wouldn't be able to sell it for any more....ok....so you're telling me I should sell it to you for less, so you can re-sell it for the same I'm asking...ok ok....no thx, I'm not in a rush.

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it? #42  
Be patient. I'm sure you will be able to get at least 4k, if not more, being that your tractor has license plate and that alone is like 1k extra value.

I sold three older tractors to get me a new tractor. Out of the three, I sold one privately and gave me a lot more money that I expected to get out of it as it was the one in worse shape (I bought to restore but changed my mind shortly after). Interestingly enough, the small dealer I bought my new tractor, offered me very good money for the other two tractors. Pretty much the same I would get if I sold it privately.

If you threw a ridiculous offer on one of their used tractors at the dealer, I'm sure they would get all mad at you. However, they have no problems throwing ridiculous offers at your stuff without even caring. Not all, but some dealers are like that anyway, usually the bigger dealers are like that.

Well, here it is!! It's actually 16.5Kw on the documents, just over 22, not 26 or 27 or 28!! I still wonder where from and why people pull these inflated figures, up to 25% more for compacts I've found. Regardless it's still a good improvement for me % wise.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-20 at 14.38.19.jpeg
5000 euros delivered with a 120cm rotary cutter. The seller turned out to be very nice, and didn't get upset about getting lost trying to find my place 😆

I'm in the process of selling mine for 4250, if I discount the cutter which is in vgc, I almost break even.
Thanks for the advice.

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it? #44  
Well, here it is!! It's actually 16.5Kw on the documents, just over 22, not 26 or 27 or 28!! I still wonder where from and why people pull these inflated figures, up to 25% more for compacts I've found. Regardless it's still a good improvement for me % wise.
View attachment 699286
5000 euros delivered with a 120cm rotary cutter. The seller turned out to be very nice, and didn't get upset about getting lost trying to find my place 😆

I'm in the process of selling mine for 4250, if I discount the cutter which is in vgc, I almost break even.
Thanks for the advice.
Congrats on your new "toy", errr, I mean tractor. :)

Great picture too with the mountains in the back.

I have the same mower too. Also 1.2m.

Have you tried to figure out the maker and model of the engine and confirm the HP? Somehow I find 22hp a bit low on this type of tractor.

Congrats on your new "toy", errr, I mean tractor. :)

Great picture too with the mountains in the back.

I have the same mower too. Also 1.2m.

Have you tried to figure out the maker and model of the engine and confirm the HP? Somehow I find 22hp a bit low on this type of tractor.
Ahah thanks, toy is not far fetched either :D
I haven't, but I'll have a look at it to double check, I thought the papers would be accurate.

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it? #46  
Ahah thanks, toy is not far fetched either :D
I haven't, but I'll have a look at it to double check, I thought the papers would be accurate.
I have seen some mistakes on documents before, that's way I asking.

But I do agree with you. Some people do like to inflate the horsepower on tractors when selling. Specially those mini tractors like the Hinomoto you have, Kubota, Iseki, etc. I've seen people claiming 25hp on these small tractors when they are around 12 to 18hp, depending on the models of course. It's like Porto wine, the older it gets, the more horsepower it has. 🤣

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it? #48  
I have seen some mistakes on documents before, that's way I asking.

But I do agree with you. Some people do like to inflate the horsepower on tractors when selling. Specially those mini tractors like the Hinomoto you have, Kubota, Iseki, etc. I've seen people claiming 25hp on these small tractors when they are around 12 to 18hp, depending on the models of course. It's like Porto wine, the older it gets, the more horsepower it has. 🤣

Japan Hp JIS ratings are tested different than SAE Hp test ratings. I trust the SAE ratings and the Nebraska Tractor Testing based on the SAE findings.

My machine is like the John Deere JD850
TractorData.com John Deere 850 tractor tests information

Japan JIS says my tractor to be 26Hp @ 2,600 rpms. SAE says 22.83Hp @ 2,600 rpms after 2-hours.

Thus, the ability to find a machine as close to a benchmark to your model is ideal.

Yanmar does a small tweak to the fuel injector pump to gain from 1Hp to 5Hp on similar models with the same engine. However, I don't have any available test data to rely on.

Then throw in the dealer hype and it's a different game. :rolleyes:

/ Is a 3hp upgrade worth it? #49  
Japan Hp JIS ratings are tested different than SAE Hp test ratings. I trust the SAE ratings and the Nebraska Tractor Testing based on the SAE findings.

My machine is like the John Deere JD850
TractorData.com John Deere 850 tractor tests information

Japan JIS says my tractor to be 26Hp @ 2,600 rpms. SAE says 22.83Hp @ 2,600 rpms after 2-hours.

Thus, the ability to find a machine as close to a benchmark to your model is ideal.

Yanmar does a small tweak to the fuel injector pump to gain from 1Hp to 5Hp on similar models with the same engine. However, I don't have any available test data to rely on.

Then throw in the dealer hype and it's a different game. :rolleyes:
Yes I am aware of that, however it's not the case over here. It's 100% seller (dealer or private seller) hype that "increases" the HP on these tractors.

So people fall for it but used to happen way more, back in the day. In our current times that we pretty much have internet on the tip of our fingers and can easily access TractorData (That site is awesome by the way) and check pretty much any spec we're looking for.